Western Digital Bumps WD Black HDDs to 4TB

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:20 AM
When it comes to hard drives, performance is important but capacity is king. Western Digital is keeping pace with growing storage trends--including several of its own lines of products--by unveiling new 4TB versions of its WD Black desktop hard drives.

The 3.5-inch drives offer 7200 RPM speed, 64MB cache, and SATA 6Gbps interfaces in addition to a handful of features designed to enhance accuracy and promote longevity. These include dual actuators that use two heads for more accurate positioning over data tracks as well as dual processors which are designed to enable significant performance boosts.

WD Black 4TB

WD’s IntelliSeek feature delivers ideal seek speeds to cut down on power consumption, noise, and vibrations, and StableTrac supports that effort by securing the motor shaft at both ends; further, NoTouch ramp load technology ensures that the recording head never touches the disk, which contributes to the drive’s longevity.

The 4TB WD Black hard drive is now available through various outlets for $339 and is backed by Western Digital’s 5-year limited warranty.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:47 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:45 PM

Wow. What a quality product, even with stiff competition coming from other HD makers, it sounds like this has got some worthwhile improvements aside from increased capacity, it's got better performance and longevity for the black series of WD HD's across the board.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:21 PM

I really like the Caviar black line, let alone the overall Caviar line.

This really should put some more UUMPH into the whole hard drive market. While retaining excellent speeds, this new Caviar Black 4TB drive really should bring back the massive demand for high capacity hard drives from WD!

:D

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Points 665

i like the size too. This is a great storage drive, but the HDD is still the bottleneck of the computer. I'll keep my OS and applications on my SSD.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS