Microsoft Surface with Windows RT Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,640
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:12 PM

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT ReviewThey say hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, it’s now obvious that Microsoft had dropped a number of hints that the company would eventually offer its own tablet, which should have made their Surface announcement last summer much less of a surprise.

It was way back in 2008 that Microsoft began showing off its similarly named Surface tabletop, hinting at the immense resources Microsoft was pouring into touch interfaces. And it was at CES 2011 that Microsoft announced that Windows 8 would support system on a chip (SoC) architectures from ARM. Then NVIDIA announced that Microsoft’s demo at CES, which showed Excel and IE10 running on an ARM-based chip, was performed using a Tegra SoC. All of that foundation culminated in the release of the product we’ll be showing you here, Microsoft’s Surface Tablet with Windows RT...

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT Review

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 4:28 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the Store performs and how well the tablet fits. Since this and the many versions of Windows OS seem to be the same it is safe to say this market may start off mildly but will eventually take off. It depends on HOW the other markets react though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 4:37 PM

One other thing to keep in mind is that virtually every new desktop and laptop sold from this point moving forward will ship with Windows 8. That means the install base is going to be huge, relatively quickly, which in turn will attract developers.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 4,990
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 5:22 PM

I've been using windows 8 and surface for a few weeks now and i have to say its a great move. I know people keep bagging it but its does work very nicely. Love how its fast and responsive. Since the patch last week on the Surface its runs even smoother and apps load faster. For a first try this is a fantastic device and is on par with whats out now.

Apps are not all available right now but i do see it growing slowing and it will over time. People just need to get over this fear stage they seem to be in. MS are changed the because they needed to, tablets and phones are the future. With saying that i love my PC and will never give it up :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
andyflava replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:50 AM

I'm also using Windows 8 on my Desktop with no Touchscreen... I think it's glorious! Swish left to bottom and bingo "Start" Screen, swish right to bottom or top "command" bar...

It's so wonderfully simple I cannot believe it!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
andyflava replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:54 AM

Tip: Move your Desktop Tile to the top left of the Start Screen and you're only ever an "Enter" key press away from your desktop. Simples..

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 235

I've been using iPads since day on, but I'd be liking to try a table Windows tablet. Anything to get off iTunes!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

That was a good article. I don't have a Surface and I don't think that I'll be getting one. It's very expensive, especially when you include the extras. Maybe when Microsoft ships one that runs Windows 8. I do like the idea of Microsoft pushing developers to make stuff that you can use on a mobile device that is Windows compatable.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS