Wii U Console Launch Plauged by Low Inventory and Hardware Bugs

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,000
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 19 2012 9:43 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same. How so? Well, it's been six long years since the last major console launch (the original Wii and PlayStation 3 both debuted in November, 2006), and though the landscape looks decidedly different these days, gamers apparently still have to deal with yesteryear issues, like low inventory and inflated online prices.

Nintendo's Wii U console is sold out online, as well as in many brick-and-mortar stores. The console launched to the U.S. market just yesterday (November 18, 2012), giving gamers a choice between the Basic Set for $300 (8GB storage) or the Deluxe Set for $350 (32GB hard drive and various extras).

Wii  U Best Buy

Both are now hard to come by just a day later, and both are selling for inflated prices online by second-hand sellers. On Amazon, for example, sellers have the Basic and Deluxe packages listed for $379+ and $479+, respectively, shipping not included. Similar prices show up on eBay. That's par for course when it comes to console launches, but we were hoping things might have changed in the last half decade.

In addition to inflated prices, some users have complained about various hardware issues, The Guardian reports. These run the gamut from Wi-Fi configuration issues and HDMI output failures, to problems with the console's Miiverse social networking service. Others are just now finding out that NIntendo's TVii service is being delayed until December.

Are you shopping a Wii U this holiday season?
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

You would almost expect this.... its was just made and people everywhere want it. Maybe if they didn't use cheaper parts there wouldn't be any bugs.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 205
bry2k2 replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 12:25 PM

how is this different from any other console launch on this planet. no company has ever had the perfect launch, everyone has had problems with some, everyone bitches about something and yet life goes on, revisions are made, patches are sent and all is well.

PS3 overheating, no rumble on launch

Xbox 360 ring of death

People throwing their wii motes through tv's because the strap broke

Original xbox controllers were too big

if you buy a warranty you have nothing to lose, if you don't think its stable enough wait for the next batch in a few months.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 1:52 PM

I'm seriously considering it. When I first got my Wii I resold it for for $800:D

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 1:23 AM

I've read elsewhere that the consoles also brick completely if they lose internet connectivity or power during the update that runs on every initial start up... Not sure how preventable that is but it seems really sloppy on Nintendo's part.

Also in a tear-down it revealed that the hardware inside was comparable and similar to high end tablets too?

Come in Nintendo! I knew they were gonna put something out that was ahead of the PS3 and 360 Hardware wise and it wouldn't be on par for raw power with Sony and Microsoft's next gen's but tablet equivalent power seems sloppy too.

Hopefully Nintendo can work it out cause the tablet controller concept seems like even more fun that motion control implemented with the Wii, and ZombieU in particular looks like it's gonna be a hell of a game

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 11:31 AM

I'm guessing your meant "Plagued", sorry, I had to lol ;P

I will probably buy this down the road to add to our console collection, but I'll wait until after the rush is over and wait until all the bugs are fixed. I always find when a new console is released there always seems to be a bunch of problems, software and hardware related.

We are stoked to play Batman on it, it looks frackin awesome!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS