PlayStation 3 Tops 70 Million Console Sales, Ties Xbox 360

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:43 AM
As of November 4, 2012 and just a few days after it turned six years old, the PlayStation 3 console reached a milestone of 70 million cumulative worldwide unit sales, Sony announced on Friday. In addition, sales of the PlayStation Move motion controller have now surpassed 15 million units around the globe.

"The PS3 system has delivered high quality, award-winning entertainment experiences since its launch. Throughout its lifecycle, the PS3 system has continued to evolve with more streamlined design, larger hard disk drive (HDD) capacity, and new features through software updates," Sony said. "In September 2012, SCE launched the new PS3 system, which has a reduced volume and weight of more than 50 percent compared to the original PS3 model, and of 25 percent and 20 percent respectively compared to the slim PS3 model launched in 2009. The new PS3 has been well received by consumers around the world."

Sony PlayStation 3

Like Microsoft, Sony's been able to keep its console relevant for over half a decade by launching slimmed down versions, larger built-in capacities, and add-ons like the above mentioned motion controller. PC gamers wince at the thought of gaming on six-year-old hardware, but as the numbers show, it apparently works in the console space.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are now neck-and-neck in sales. Microsoft previously announced the same sales milestone in its most recent earnings report, though both consoles trail the Nintendo Wii, which notched 97.2 million cumulative unit shipments at the end of September.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,077
Points 9,960
sevags replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:46 PM

It really is surprising that Sony has actually caught up in sales... I know die hard playstation fans but I always considered the 360 as the most successful console... However if they have sold the same amoun of consoles that looks bad for th 360 since it came out a whole year earlier?

Also other than units sold I would really like to know how many units aprox. of each are still actually out there functioning, if the same numbers at sold I would assume there are more PS3's out there because of the 360s early high failure rates.

I'm an Xbox fan btw

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:47 PM

Good for sony, but my money will always be on -and for- Microsoft.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:31 PM

And I wonder how many of these PS3s are used ONLY for bluray playback. Sony are still making a significant loss on their console while MS makes a modest profit on each one and has done for about 3-4 years.

Also, the number of games per console for the 360 is quite good, but the last numbers I read for the PS3 are barely more than '1'.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,077
Points 9,960
sevags replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:58 PM

I'm actually going to go ahead and say that a SMALL percentage of PS3s are used only for bluray, I don't know anyone who buys or rents bluray disks first of all and the people I've heard of renting them use a bluray player. I've never known anyone to buy a ps3 just for the BD capability or retire their system to just a BD player.

I would bet my lot that that an incredibly large % of PS3 owners have never even put more than 1 BD disk into their systems ever and will most likely upgrade to a new console before they ever do, making the extra cost of the BD player a complete waste to most of Sonys customers.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,077
Points 9,960
sevags replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:59 PM

Oh and.... Why is hothardwares mobile version so poorly designed?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:18 AM

I'm so confused as to how the Xbox 360 and PS3 trail the Wii... I guess maybe because the Wii has an appeal to a broader range of gamers compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Anyone have any thoughts on this

Back in 2009 when I got my Xbox 360 as a Christmas gift I had wanted a PS3 because of its blu-ray capabilities and use as a media center... but over time it turned out the 360's Netflix integration and DVD playback more than did the job and probably surpassed the PS3 (Another confounding varibale in comparison to the Wii... with no playback without some extensive homebrew hacking and even then it's sketchy)

I also don't know what Microsoft did to manage to maintain a lead for such a long time when the PS3 had higher specs for hardware in the console... and how they managed to be beleaguered with in game glitches even with more powerful hardware (after all a ton of PS3's were used to make a supercomputer for the Air Force, and not the 360)... But I'm guessing the glitches came from Game Dev's making stuff for the 360 and then having to port it to the PS3

Questions upon questions...If anyone had any insight on this stuff it would be much appreciated!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 609
Points 4,990
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 6:28 PM

Wow really.... i thought ps3 was dead hahaha

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

ps3 and xbox 360 trail the wii because the wii is one of those consoles that is shunned by gamers as a console but to alot of them can be seen used for most optimum use as a "party" console.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS