Intel Clover Trail Atom Z2760 Windows 8 Tablet Performance Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,679
Points 1,155,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:52 PM
Windows RT or Windows 8 for ARM devices launched a couple weeks ago and today we have the very first Intel-driven Windows 8 tablet device to hit our labs, powered by Intel's latest low power Clover Trail Atom Z2760 SoC (System on Chip).  The Atom Z2760 is a new dual core chip from Intel with integrated engines for graphics, HD video encode and decode and a low power DDR2 DRAM controller.  Clover Trail, like Medfield for smartphones, marks Intel's latest effort to break into the exploding tablet market.  With Windows 8 finally launched, does Intel's new Atom architecture have what it takes to compete and offer consumers a full X86 compatible solution to complement existing desktop and notebook devices?

Here we'll take an early look at Clover Trail's performance and our test vehicle is none other than Samsung's new ATIV Smart PC 500T.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:24 PM

Good preview, only one slightly misleading inference... The Medfield Z2460 uses the much older PowerVR SGX540, while the SGX545 is the same as used by Cedar Trail ATOM series for the GMA 3600 (400MHz) / 3650 (640MHz).

While the dual core Medfield coming out early next year, Z2580, is suppose to be using the SGX544MP2...

Driver support is still limited to 32bit and like the previous Cedar Trail systems it may not yet be fully optimized. For example, Cedar Trail only allowed DX 9.0c despite the rating for 10.1... So Clover Trail may be similarly limited for now...

Unlike Cedar Trail though, Intel supposedly includes both the hardware decoder and encoder for the GMA. For Cedar Trail they only included the decoder and up till now only Medfield had both. So there may be some potential for hardware accelerated video encoding for Clover Trail.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:28 PM

JD, I was speaking more with respect to the lineage of Medfield and Clover Trail and the platforms they're targeted to. Not sure where I spoke to the graphics cores in each but I'm happy to adjust if something is unclear.

I do need to push Intel on what their graphics engine is capable of in terms of actual DX functionality.  So far I haven't been able to demonstrate anything in DX10.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

quick correction on "The Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T is a rather large, 10.1-inch tablet with a 16:9 aspect ratio"  Its a 11.6-inch screen. See specs here

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:30 PM

Yeah, unless they can get the drivers better developed it's likely DX10.1 won't be a option for Clover Trail, anymore than it was for Cedar Trail and we'll only have 9.0c functionality (hopefully less buggy than it was on Cedar Trail)...

As to the adjustment... Quote, "Also, recall that Intel licensed a PowerVR SGX545 graphics core in Clover Trail as they did with Medfield for smartphones,"

The wording suggests the same GPU was licensed, you could either remove the SGX545 reference and leave PowerVR graphics core for a generic reference or add that the Medfield uses a similar SGX540 to not confuse anyone referencing the article for specs.

Also for the other part of the same paragraph...

"The SGX545 is one of the fastest integrated graphics cores on the market currently for tablets and smartphones, though it's out-classed by the SGX544 in Apple's A6X SoC and the newest iPad. "

It would be nice to make that a little clearer and point out that the one Apple is using is multiple GPU variant as the SGX544, like the SGX543 before it, is scalable up to quad and that's why it's more powerful.

While the SGX545 is single GPU only, but Intel clocked it much faster. So should get at least as much performance as the dual SGX543MP2 (200MHz) that the iPad 2 used, if not slightly better as it's clocked over twice as fast at 533MHz... Considering the SGX545 is suppose to be a little more powerful than the SGX543/SGX544 one to one and Imagination claims their PowerVR GPU's scale pretty well in both multiple arrangements and clock speed, and the benchmarks seems to bear that out so far.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515

I'm just praying that a Win 8 pro tablet with at least Core i3 class performance is available for under $800. If I'm lucky there will be like 1 model that meets that price-point and it will have a lot of drawbacks

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

Hey guys. I'm hoping I can pick your brains on this one. I am in the process of acquiring tablets with Intel chipset for our executives and our business requires AutoCAD and Revit3D. Although they would not be using the full version and most likely be using the viewer, is it feasible for a light user to be able to use the latest Atom based processor? Other than viewing drafts, it would simply be basic administrative work. I'm curious as to how the latest Atom processor is compared to Core i3 performance. The Intel tablets by Samsung is nice, especially the Pro version. However, it weighs almost 2 lbs. Any help is appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:48 PM

The ATOM is still multiple times less powerful than the lowest end Core i3, though that may change next year with the 22nm update but for now don't expect too much.

The ATOM architecture hasn't changed much since it was first introduced about 5 years ago. Clover Trail is mainly just the best optimized version to date and it won't be till next year before they finally provide a major architectural update with the 22nm Valley View update.

So, If you want to run the desktop Autocad then you'll need something a bit more powerful than a ATOM offers right now. Though right now Windows 8 isn't yet supported, people are reporting crashes whenever trying to run any of Autocad's software on Windows 8. While of course there is no version that will yet run on RT.

Meaning, you'll have to wait till they update support or come out with a new version.

For basic usage though you can consider Autocad WS, a cloud-based CAD editor from Autodesk. It's already available for iOS and Android, as well as a web app version for your browser. The later version being what you can probably use now, as long as you have a compatible browser and it works with Google Docs.

https://www.autocadws.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/AutoCADWS

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/collaboration-autocad-ws-design-review/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:49 PM

Arggh, corrected. Thanks!

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

Hi JDiaz,

I really appreciate the clarification on this.  I assume the late Atom processor performance would be similar to what the Surface RT handles the ARMs processor?  It's a bit sluggish at times actually.

I am running Windows 8 Pro on my Intel Core i7 2nd Gen of my ThinkPad x220 Tablet.  Even this is a bit sluggish at times for some reason.  Perhaps I need to wait for the new drivers and BIOS optimized to work with Windows 8.

AutoCAD WS forum responded that they are not going to product a version for Windows 8 App anytime soon.  So I guess we are left without any options other than web and I personally is not a fan of the web apps since at times connectivity is difficult for people who travels frequently.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:52 PM

moujack, for basic viewing and administrative requirements, I'd say these Atom-based designs could handle it but not for any real design work. Also, Core i3 performance would be much better and if I'm not mistaken there are a few Core i3-based Win 8 tablets coming to market, Acer for one I believe.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60

Thanks Dave!

That's good to know.  I've saw some comparison between Core i3 and i5 performance vs. the latest AMD FX chipsets.  It seems like even the Core i3 can out perform the higher end of the FX models.  If that's true, then I have a good feeling about Core i3 as we are currently using FX-4100 for our AutoCAD work.

Jack

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:27 AM

Yes, we're still looking at basically netbook range performance from these systems and also yes that drivers and apps on many systems still need to be better optimized for Windows 8.

Since Autocad WS does have a Android version, I'd suggest maybe seeing if it would work with Bluestack? Could be a workaround until Autocad gets around to actually giving Windows 8 support.

Some systems released later may also offer dual boot with Android, it's possible but someone just needs to develop the custom FW for it.

Anyway, while waiting on the final review... You could check out the review done by UMPCportal and some of the youtube videos on the Samsung ATIV Smart PC. Showcasing things like online Flash game performance, Photoshop CS6 actually running well enough for at least basic editing, some limited but still usable video editing capability, games like WoW (gets about 7-10 fps) and Red Alert 3 (it was mentioned but not shown). etc.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
ryuhou69 replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:05 PM

so wheres part two that was meant to be a few days away....

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
ryuhou69 replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:13 PM

so wheres part two that was meant to be a few days away....

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
hp79 replied on Thu, Nov 14 2013 5:13 PM

"Clover Trail is barely breaking a sweat, playing back HD video with only about 25% CPU utilization"

I know it's already been a year, but you guys are wrong here. 25% CPU utilization in Windows Task Manager means you are maxing out one of the core. This means Atom is struggling pretty bad playing the video file.

You only have two physical cores, and you see it as 4 in Windows because of HyperThreading. You can think of HT as 10% bonus, but if your running a single thread app, then no matter what you do, it's only going to stress one core. If you see 50% utilization in task manager, that is pretty much stressing the CPU close to it's max (again, because two more extra cores that are not being utilized are from HT).

If you see the CPU usage at 25% for ONE core, only then you can say "no sweat!".

After using Samsung ATIV Smart PC with Atom z2760 for a year, I feel horrible with all these bugs and power drains. This really sucks, but I use it only in emergencies and for OneNote inking.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS