Microsoft Isn't Yet Ready to Discuss Windows 8, Surface Sales

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:34 AM
With so much riding on the success of Windows 8 -- both for Microsoft and the PC industry as a whole, the latter of which is in a slump of sorts -- it'd be interesting to know how many copies of the touch friendly operating system (OS) the Redmond company was able to move since launching to the general public four days ago. Unfortunately, Steve Ballmer is keeping sales figures of both Windows 8 and Surface RT close to the chest, at least until the numbers are a bit more "interesting."

"Numerically there's not really much that's interesting to report," Ballmer told The Wall Street Journal in a recent interview. "If you were to call the retailers, they would say, 'Hey, off to a very good start.' We're out of stock a lot of places on touch machines."

Windows 8 PCs

For the sake of comparison, when Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) was released, Apple announced that it roared to 3 million downloads in the first four days. We won't know how Windows 8 compares until Microsoft deems the numbers interesting enough to report.

Ballmer touched on a number of other topics during the interview, such as the fact that Microsoft appears content for the time being to collaborate with Nokia on Windows Phone 8 devices rather than offer its own branded smartphone.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:11 PM

They disavowed all projections a while back too. It's no surprise that businesses aren't touching it with a 10 foot pole, since it offers no benefits and a ton of re-training hassle.  I always thought they should have taken more risks, but this was not the right product or time to take that risk.

Hopefully, this is Ballmer's death knell.  Microsoft should have shown him the door 6 years ago, and tried to reinvent themselves then.  Within 3 years, Microsoft's going to be completely different and relevant, or just suing everyone over obvious software patents and dying.

If they're serious about making it a success, this is something they're going to have to put a ton of money into and hope it eventually takes before Mac and Linux steal a significant share of their users. I expect to see a ton of new Win8 advertising in the coming months, and I would not be surprised to see a significant service pack pushed out very soon that makes the UI a little more intuitive and appealing to previous Windows users and businesses.

That, or we'll see Windows 9 about this time next year.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 125
MMaddox replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 6:06 PM

Windows 8 at its core is an impressive piece of work, but the UI just kills any desire to use it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,422
Points 102,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:56 PM

MMaddox:
Windows 8 at its core is an impressive piece of work, but the UI just kills any desire to use it.

Agreed,...........I'm glad that there are decent workarounds,............for those that end up using it.

I will stick with Win-7 and Linux.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530
RiCoFrost replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:23 PM

4 Million copies of windows 8 have been sold in 4 days.

Businesses never upgrade right away its generally about a year after release. Businesses never like spending money on IT when they don't have to. Companies could still run windows XP because it does what the need. Its more training for staff members which companies hate doing cause it cost money.

I run windows 8 at home and at work... love it :) I wont be going back to windows 7. Every app works, steam works I can install any app, system isnt locked down.... runs much faster, looks good, feels good, better security. You can go to desktop looks like the old windows, Hit win+x to get access to all the admin apps very fast and easy... All good here. If you hate it you hate it, good luck to ya :)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS