Microsoft Fakes Demand, Lines For Surface at Retail Stores

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,369
Points 1,192,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:43 PM

If the Windows 8 launch has been able to prove one thing, it's that Microsoft's fanbase isn't nearly as faithful as Apple's. When Apple releases a new product, it's become a given that people will be lined up outside of their local Apple Store for hours - or potentially days - prior to the release. It's become such a stature, in fact, that some people have made a bit of a business out of it - offering to stand in line for a nominal fee.

In an interesting twist to that last thought, with its Windows 8 launch Microsoft is being accused of staging huge lines at some stores, to give the appearance of huge demand. According to GeekWire, who had someone peruse the line at a store in Seattle, it was discovered that many in the line were either Microsoft employees or related to the company in some way. No hard information was given otherwise, though.

It likely goes without saying that a store with a huge line is going to result in greater hype than one with no line, and despite Microsoft offering some compelling products here, there just isn't the same sort of devotion to them as has become standard on the Apple side. Microsoft knows well that it'd be embarrassing to launch a major product and have empty lines, so it's done everything in its power to make sure appearances were as good as can be. Helping this, the company held giveaways at the biggest launch stores.

In New York, as the Wall Street Journal reports, the line outside of the Microsoft store leading up to the launch was pretty modest. Here, it didn't seem like anyone was paid by Microsoft to stand there, and while those waiting in an Apple line expect to get interviewed, it seems that those standing in this Microsoft line did not.

Whatever you take away from this, there's one thing Microsoft had at its Times Square launch that Apple never gets: Naked Cowboy. That has to count for something, right?

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 100

I'll fake like I bought it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nz8_Sj1KwWI#!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 559
Points 4,530
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 8:11 PM

There are video showing massive lines at the some retails stores... youtube it :)

And yes i ordered one. Yes apple fans are more die hard.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 5,330
FreeJet replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 11:59 PM

Fake it til you make it,
On the Surface you can't shake it,
Though the Windows 8 may break it,
That is why I will forsake it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:40 AM

«Microsoft Fakes Demand, Lines For Surface at Retail Stores» Why am I not surprised ? The company is run by marketeers (and, of course, lawyers), so it performs in the way that a company run by marketeers and lawyers would be expected to perform - faking lines at retailers and reneging on an agreement («inadvertently», bien sûr) with the European Commission. Way to go, Microsoft !...

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,035
Points 9,630
sevags replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 1:14 PM

This article sounds like bull to me? WHERE is the evidence?! Because 1 of X amount of stores had employees waiting in line?? What if that store had die hard fans? Or maybe the manager of that store told its employees thy couldn't reserve a surface and that th would have to stand in line like everyone else? When I worked at Costco and the 360 was released our warehouse manager did exactly that made us stand in line starting the night before like everyone else and let me assure you it wasn't to fake demand. What is that store manager asked its empoyees to fake demand and was never told to do any such thing by MS? Is MS was faking the lines why wouldn't all their stores have "fake" customers it isn't like they have a lot of stores. Why wouldn't they pay non-employees to stand in line?

WHERE is the proof?!? Has anyone admitted to being paid or asked to stand in line?? What about out of those employees standing in line did anyone actually observe them NOT making a purchase when the store opened or did they actually purchase a surface and take it home?????

I'm searching news sites and the only sites claiming such a thing is geekwire.

This is a VERY trolly article for hothardware and something I'd expect to find on dailytech.com just to get more clicks then report actual news.

This is a weak article throwing around wild unsubstantiated claims.

This is a low for your hothardware, and I'm used to seeing higher quality articles from RobW.

Anyone reading this article might want to take it with a grain of salt the size of a softball.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:29 PM

Shut up, Steve Ballmer. Nobody trusts monkeyboys.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This doesn't surprise me at all. Apple, almost by definition, is a community of "Fan Boys". These people not only drink the Kool Aid, they think it should be should on street corners, and everyone should be drinking it. Windows, for the majority of us has become much like air. The only time we miss it is when it isn't there. Too be fair though, Win 8 is such a debacle, and such a departure from Win 7 and XP that I don't think people are running out to upgrade.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS