Best Buy Tips Pricing Details for HTC Windows Phone 8X, Nokia Lumia 920

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:50 AM
For whatever reason, HTC and Nokia unveiled their respective Windows Phone 8 devices without disclosing any pricing information, making it unnecessarily difficult to speculate how well they'll sell amid a sea of Android and iOS smartphones. Thanks to electronics retailer Best Buy, now we know.

Best Buy tossed up a couple of pre-order pages, one of which it has since pulled offline. The one that remains is for HTC's Windows Phone 8X (8GB) on AT&T's network. With a two-year contract, Best Buy will sell you the device for a Benjamin ($100). Off contract, the handset carries an MSRP of $600.

Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 920

For the short time it was online, Nokia's Lumia 920 carried a higher price tag, selling in pre-order form for $150 on contract, albeit with four times as much baked in storage (32GB). It was available in yellow, red, white, cyan, and black, while HTC's device is only being offered in purple at this time.

HTC WIndows Phone 8X
HTC Windows Phone 8X

As a refresher, HTC's Windows Phone 8X boasts a 4.3-inch display with Gorilla Glass 2, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear-facing camera, 2.1MP front-facing camera, Beats Audio, and various other tidbits. It does not come with an microSD card slot.

Nokia's Lumia 920 also lacks a microSD card slot, though it does sport a 4.5-inch display, the same processor and amount of RAM as HTC's device, 8.7MP front-facing camera with Carl Zeiss optics, 1.3MP front-facing camera, and an aggressive price tag.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 4:58 PM

"With a two-year contract, Best Buy will sell you the device for a Benjamin ($100). Off contract, the handset carries an MSRP of $60."

Let me get this straight. Best Buy charges an EXTRA $40 for subsidized phone?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Points 2,235

That'd be neat if the off contract price was that cheap. Unfortunately, it's actually $600 (sans contract).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 9:17 AM

Yeah; $40 for BB with a subsidized unit, not that it is really excessive, but the fact that people know is one of the reasons there slowly loosing market sector. From what I hear the biggest retailers BB included are starting to match web prices, Walmart/Target as well where Fry's and Microcenter have for a little while now (Fry's has for the longest amount of time). The web only same day or relatively soon (within 24-48 hours) delivery scheme seems to be the best to me for all of them. I know it is the only way that electronics will stay large in the retail (B&M) market anymore will be with a major update to the way business is done in that sector to say the least.

Either way I will add that I used a Windows phone last edition not 8 but 7.whatever and so did Sarah. It did not support wifi which is a must as I get signal from no carrier (Yes Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all be used on location) at my address completely, although I get partial through Verizon and T-Mobile wifi is free with T-Mobile and therefore my choice. Windows phone was way easier for Sarah to use off the bat although she now and has since then used Android. I can promise you if the WIFI calling issue would have not existed we would have kept that unit. The OS and operation was very intuitive and stress free.

Overall though my impressions of Windows 8 are poor we will just have to see where there all inclusive bid goes though. Windows 8, Windows phone8, and the cloud office as well as usability may change the market at large!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS