Head Out Of The Clouds: Why Local Storage Still Matters

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,635
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 18 2012 12:19 PM
Head Out Of The Clouds: Why Local Storage Still MattersSmartphones, tablets and computers are constantly consuming (and creating) more and more content. And with that comes massive amounts of data consumption. The amount of sharing that takes place on today's smartphones and tablets is astounding, and every instance of that requires data -- and storage. Lately, it seems as if companies are dealing with these new realities by leaning heavily on the cloud. But trusting your precious data solely to the cloud can be a risky bet...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 1:05 PM

I cannot agree more. It is the same mindset that had me reformat my CR-48 and install a real Linux OS instead of ChromeOS.

Not *everything* works best in a cloud-centric world. Not everyone is connected all the time and not every task works best with remote storage (I probably try a hundred things before doing a git push - developers would be crazy to write everything in a non-local environment at this point in time).

Cloud apps put a layer between you and the data: I don't want access to a file via someone's streaming app. I want to be able to access the bytes locally and change them as I see fit.

Maybe, in another 10 years, the tech will make our objections irrelevant.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 2:13 PM

I'm fine with the cloud being there as a secondary point of storage, but to rely on it as a primary point is just asking for trouble.

All of those people using the web to access their gmail or other cloud email storage services are simply asking for trouble when, for whatever reason, they aren't in a service area or their connection flakes out for whatever reason.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 6:09 PM

Glad you guys can identify. It occurred to us that there's a building risk here for folks just buzzing long happily with their data synched over the Cloud and trusting it there. It's good for convenience, bad for practicality.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 9:18 PM

Dave_HH:
It's good for convenience, bad for practicality

Especially with the costs associated with local storage going down all of the time. It's pretty inexpensive to buy large SATA-III and stack them in an NAS box or external enclosures.

The cloud has no draw for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Bruce J replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 2:29 AM

If you have a look at DVD Infinity's facebook page on August 13 , 2012 There is an interesting article on DVD Infinity's facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/DVDInfinity. It explores the growing risks of Cloud usage for storage of irreplaceable memories.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS