Sprint Offering Up Vanity Phone Numbers Aliases with **Me Service

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Oct 8 2012 2:19 PM
Quick, how many phone numbers do you actually know off the top of your head? Ask anyone under 40 and you’ll probably get the same answer. They know their own for sure, and their spouse’s cell, and probably their parents’ home phone number as well because they’ve had the same one for the last couple of decades. But that’s probably about it.

Because everyone (and literally, their mom) has a cell phone these days, when most people get a new number it just goes straight into the phone as a named contact. Instead of dialing (555)555-5555, we just tap a name to make a call.

Now, however, Sprint users can hand out a vanity alias to new friends and contacts with a service called **Me. In a nutshell, **Me lets you create a custom name that people can use to call you if they don’t have your actual number programmed into their phone. For example, if your name is Jerry, you can use **Jerry as your handle. Or perhaps if your nickname is “Mad Dog”, you can opt for **MadDog. Monikers must be at least 5 characters in length but no more than 9, not counting the two stars.

The service costs $2.99 per month, but there are no additional usage charges beyond your normal Sprint plan. Currently, **Me will only accept calls from Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and other Sprint customers, and **Me doesn’t accept text messages yet. The ring-through feature works on any device, but additional features such as automatically sending a text reply to a missed call or the ability to direct callers to your contact info stored online are Android-only for now, although iPhone support is in the offing.

It’s a quirky service, but letting users give out easy-to-remember aliases instead of 7-digit phone numbers is a terrific idea.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

This is friggin' silly, so it will become the next huge thing,..............

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,651
Points 55,390
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 8:48 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head, Neil. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 8:51 PM

Oh guys don't dig the service?? I for one would sign up TODAY if I was available from AT&T ! What's the down side? The monthly payment?? I'd want to sign up asap to register the name I want before its taken. The first part of the article is true I only know my current cell number, uselessly my old cell#, my house number (been the same for 32 years), a fiends phone number from high school that is no longer in service, the local dominos (it's only 2 diff #'s repeated), and 911.

It's the same premise and tinyurl.com, Facebook.com/WHATEVERYOUWANT (MySpace added the same feature after a couple or years of being popular), do you guys want me to keep going??? It just makes it easier to remember someone's phone number without having to write it down imagine someone is giving you a number and you have to find a pen and paper fast or you tell your friend "turn on your cell and type the following number but don't call" (I know that situation comes up once a week for my friends and I).

Another big plus is if you can actually change your ** name any time, that allows you to anonymously give out your number (ex. A girl giving her # to a guy at a club and the guy ends up calling every 5 mins) etc etc etc!!!!!!!

What about for a business? Need to call Robert at hothardware? Dial **hardware, need assistance with your uverse tv but can't find the 1800#? **uverse....

I think it's a brilliant service that should be an option for all cell and land lines.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 8:56 PM

Actually her is the best example of all!!!!! DNS SERVERS!!!!! Imagine if you had to type in 72.1.97.153 instead of hothardware.com? Now imagine memorizing the IP of set website you want to go to?..... Now imagine people with contact books with hundreds or even thousands (business's people) of numbers.....

This service is not silly at all but greatly needed.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 9:00 PM

LOL yet another example if its use.... Here in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley area we ran out if phone numbers and had to create a new area code. Not only would area codes no longer be needed (or having to dial 1 before the whole number) but theoretically numbes can go from 10 digits to 11 allowing of more possible numbers but without being any harder to memorize.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS