Gingerbread is Still the Most Popular Flavor of Android

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 2 2012 10:12 AM
Android ThumbnailAnother month is in the books (September), and that means it's time to examine the state of Android. What did we find? Well, according to data posted on the Android Developers blog, Gingerbread (Android 2.3 to 2.3.2) is still the most widely used version of Google's mobile operating system and is installed on more than half of all active Android devices (55.8 percent). The next closest build is Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.3 to 4.0.4), which has been unwrapped on less than half as many devices, accounting for 23.7 percent.

Where things get interesting is if you throw Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) in the mix, which accounts for 1.8 percent. Between the two latest builds, more than a quarter of active Android devices are rocking current or near-current versions of Google's little green software machine.

Android Developers Chart
Source: Android Developers

So why are so many users still stuck on Gingerbread? The Android Developers page doesn't break down Android distribution by handset, but it's a safe bet that the vast majority of those Gingerbread installs are represented by dated, unsupported hardware. It's the nature of the game in Google's open source space; if you want the latest and greatest, you either have to invest in a new handset, or take matters into your own hands by rooting and installing a custom ROM. Thankfully, the latter has, for the most part, gotten easier and easier as time goes on.

Do you own an Android device? If so, which one(s) and what OS(es) are you running?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

HTC Rezound running ics, I'm pretty sure that is going to be as far as the rezound will be upgraded from the rumors I've been reading.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
geekmaan replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 12:42 PM

Good to see ICS with 20%+ share.. finally! lol.

Galaxy Gio with CM9 \m/

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 225
dnw1962 replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 9:56 PM

Motorola Photon which I bought for 2 reasons. 1 easy international use with an unlocked sim. 2 And this one has me a bit heated. Back in Feb. Moto had promised an ICS upgrade in 3Q/4Q. Last week they dropped that plan entirely and on top of this adding insult to injury recently pushed an OTA update that locked the bootloader making custom ROMs more difficult. Of course most people accepted the update thinking they were getting ICS soon without thinking twice about it. This has most Photon owners like me up in arms. What the heck was Moto thinking. All this did was PO a bunch of formerly loyal customers who are now looking to dump them for almost any other Company. Most are going Samsung But their record on upgrades is kinda sketchy too.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS