DishNET Satellite Broadband Bringing 4G-Level Speeds To The Middle Of Nowhere

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,344
Points 1,191,195
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2012 11:54 AM
These days, it seems that wires don't have much of a future. Just as soon as we can figure out wireless power, the future will be upon us. In the meantime, things like LTE have proven that wireless technologies don't have to play second fiddle to wireline technologies. Now, DISH Network is launching dishNET broadband, which aims to bring high-speed internet to rural places in America with slow or no access today. Naturally, they're also hoping to bundle this with DISH TV services all the while.

But focused on broadband, it'll go up against HughesNet (a historically slow service) offering "4G-level services." Given that LTE is faster than even some DSL connections, it's quite possible that rural broadband could one day be quicker than some home broadband connections. Go figure, huh? The internet services will start at just $39.99 per month, and amazingly, DISH is offering next-day installation.

The dishNET satellite service offers rural residents download speeds up to 10 Mbps. There will almost certainly be a latency factor that makes this tough for online gaming, but everything else should be satisfactory. Particularly compared to nothing.

In rural and outlying suburban regions nationwide, dishNET satellite broadband starts at $39.99 per month (plus equipment fees) for 5 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload speeds and data plans of 10 GB, when bundled with DISH's popular America's Top 120 or higher programming packages and with a two-year agreement. Combining dishNET with DISH TV saves $10 per month. Most satellite customers can upgrade to a 10 Mbps /1 Mbps plan available with 20 GB of data for $49.99 per month.

Satellite broadband service includes five @dishNET.com email accounts, each with 2 GB of storage and an easy-to-configure online mail portal that combines web search, news, entertainment and weather updates.

Installation is free for new and existing DISH TV customers when dishNET is bundled with DISH's television programming and $99 when ordered as a stand-alone service. Existing DISH satellite Internet customers can upgrade to the 5 Mbps or 10 Mbps speeds for $199.99.

In addition to satellite Internet service, DISH's own competitive local exchange carrier will also fold its wireline broadband service into the dishNET brand. Urban and suburban residents living in a 14-state region and access high-speed Internet with 7 Mbps starts at $29.95 per month. Upgrade to 12 Mbps service for an additional $5 per month or 20 Mbps for an additional $10 per month. This service is available in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,683
Points 104,320
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 8:03 PM

ick! Dish!

(spits)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:15 PM

Haha my thoughts exactly, I used to get tv from a satellite provider until they wanted me to wait 2 days and pay $75 to realign a dish that they installed and I paid rent for every month. The service would go out a few times over the year which was really frustrating since at that point I hadn't setup any other methods of media consumption for my family. I hope for the sake of the people living in rural areas and decide to sign up that the above service is better than the one I had to endure.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
s3rious replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 1:08 PM

Ummm..how is a 10-20GB cap and high latency not "second fiddle to wireline technologies"?? That people consider mobile/sat broadband a viable alternative to wireline scares me.

Also, those latencies will ruin more than your online gaming attempts; from what I hear, it renders VPN useless, so scrap those work-from-home plans. For all the stimulus our govt. tosses at the green energy industry, you'd think the money would be better spent on supporting tech to enable remote employment...just think of the millions of gallons of fuel and emissions it'd save from not driving to the office, and the additional tax revenue it would generate for rural locations due to higher salaries and employment opps.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The ad for Dish says it is ava. anywhere...called them today, because i have tv thru them...internet is not yet ava. in my area.... i live just outside of lawton, ok. guess i live nowhere, not anywhere

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

LOL 4g speeds OK. I had this service for all but a week. Horrible. My dL speeds were about 2mbs and upload was nonexistent. I actually failed ping tests of speakeasy and speedtest. But to break my contract all I had to do was have them come out every other day for a week and half and they finally said F it. Costing them more to try and fix it. My ping was always above 3k!. I knew there was a latency but for fun I played starcraft 2. It took my SCV 11 seconds to do what I said. LOL. EPIC FAIL DISHNET! Oh about the not avail anywhere thing guys. A trick question that they ask you is if there is another highspeed service avail. If there is they would tell you that they can't offer you service. Upon falling for it a few times, I said no and just like magic I could get service... But it's not worth it. For the love of whoever you worship... Use dialup if you're out in the styx

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

At this moment I am contented on using a usb dongle when I am away from home as I can still get good signal. Does this dishNet will work in any place or there are still specific place which can experience no or slow connection?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS