AMD A10 and A8 Trinity APU: Virgo Desktop Experience - Hot Hardware Hands-On

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,149
Points 1,185,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:24 AM
We're taking a somewhat different two-tiered approach with our coverage of AMD’s new Trinity-based APUs for desktop systems today. AMD is lifting the veil on their new product line-up, in addition to graphics performance and power consumption, but we can’t quite give you the full monty just yet, due to a new multi-tiered launch approach AMD decided to take with these products. If you want to see how well AMD’s latest desktop APUs overclock, how their processor cores perform, or how they’re priced, you’re going to have to stop by in a few more days. For now though, we’ve got graphics performance and power consumption characteristics to talk about and have some rather interesting side-by-side comparisons in store as well.

Although they’re based on the same piece of silicon, Trinity-based APUs for desktop systems have much more power and thermal headroom to play with versus their notebook-bound cousins. As such, the chips are clocked much higher, in regard to both their CPU and GPU cores. In fact, one of the chips we’ll be showing you here today, the A10-5800K, can Turbo all the way up to 4.2GHz.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 5:05 AM

Very much looking forward to those tests, Dave - thanks for the heads-up !...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:35 AM

This was a good read Marco.

I have an APU A8-3850 CPU with an ASUS F1A75-V-Pro and a XFX Radeon HD-6670 in hybrid crossfire.

Gaming performance is decent with the addition of it's Hybrid Crossfire capabilities. Overall system performance is good.

These new better, faster variants are a welcome step up as I see it. I heard a rumor that the new platform's Hybrid Crossfire will be possible with faster, 7000 series Radeon cards too. This will be an improvement with meat on it's bones.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:33 AM

Hybrid CrossFire is possible with faster cards now, even on your 3850, but scaling will always be limited by the slower of the two GPU. You'll never get scaling past a theoretical peak of 2x of the slower GPU, so there's less incentive to stick a faster card in there.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:43 AM

My documentation stated that the HD-6670 was the fastest card that the motherboard would support in Hybrid mode. Maybe that has changed since I read it. (BIOS updates and improvements are released all of the time)

Using the Hybrid capabilities does improve performance, but it's still nothing like my GTX-570 is.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:42 PM

Aww man I hate cliffhangers!! Gotta get the whole story before I decide between an i3 or the A10 for a buddy of mine who wants to build his first rig.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 12:17 PM

Some nice improvements shown by AMD here, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results on the CPU side of things.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 80
MLovejoy replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:01 PM

Can't beat the bang for the buck of AMD's APU's...just can't do it.  I think the A6-5400K would be my first choice...that or the A10-5800K. I love the APU in my laptop...I've loved APU's since!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105

Currently have an AMD FM1 APU A6-3620 with Radeon 6530D, and have to say it outperforms my old AMD and Nvidia Video card a ton, can run a whole bunch more than I used to, in the future might go ahead and Crossfire it, if this chip supports Hybrid Crossfire, Retail Chip with HP P6-2133W Desktop PC.    Plan on getting another APU based system soon as I can afford it for my Mother's PC I think at this point

Liking the Reviews on the NEW AMD APU Trinity Line as well

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS