Intel CEO Slams Microsoft Tells Taiwan Employees Windows 8 Isn't Ready For Prime Time

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,167,800
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:53 PM
Do you think that Intel, the world's largest chip maker, might have somewhat of a vested interest in Windows? You better believe it, and so it's pretty scary that Intel's Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Paul Otellini, isn't feeling the vibe from Windows 8. As far as Otellini is reportedly concerned, Windows 8 is not a finished product.

Citing an un-named source who attended an Intel event in Taiwan, Bloomberg says Otellini told employees during a private meeting that Windows 8 needs improvement and is being released before its really ready.

Windows 8

It's unclear exactly what Otellini and company feels still needs fixing in Windows 8, but he doesn't necessarily disagree with Microsoft's launch date. Otellini is reported as telling his staff that Microsoft's making the right move by releasing an unfinished product, and then making improvements to the platform after it ships.

Intel isn't the only concerned party. Alex Gauna, an analyst at JMP Securities, noted that his firm is also "concerned at the level of bugs and fine tuning that appears necessary" to get the Windows 8 ready for prime time. But it's Intel that needs a successful launch, perhaps just as much as Microsoft. The chip maker recently downgraded its third quarter sales projection by $900 million on the low end and $1.3 billion on the higher end.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

This will just crush the hearts of the Microsoft fan boys!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:09 PM

So whats new? But in all honesty, I download and installed the RC and it ran fine on my test system. Was stable and faster than windows 7.

Whats not ready about it? Its a very vague statement to make.

Apple maps...... enough said.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

Didn't you say this about Vista too?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
JAcord replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:30 PM

I will never EVER run Widows 8. This half baked piece of Ka ka will never be on my PC. Lookit all the Micro$oft fanbois above comments ... oooh its faster! ...... Win 8 is not 'faster'....thats a lie.... what you have is the new windows Pi$ta..... no start menu? what were they thinking??? oooo we can sell a few tablets and in the process alienate our PC base. check out Hitler & windows 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69RllXjCL6                                                                                                                  when you start installing your programs on those little green tiles you will feel nauseous ... they don't even have the ability to reflect a thumb of program... just blank tiles, like railroad tracks leading nowhere..... Do yourself a favor & don't install 8.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I dont mind Win 8, but I do find the comment amusing as intel retail edge is teaching me how much better win8 is on intel.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 280

JAcord, your comments don't make sense..you can't argue facts... It is faster. With a clean Windows 7 OS, my system booted in about 23 seconds, with Windows 8 fully bogged down with my apps it's about 15. So that tells you something right there.

All you guys all crazy about the change never used W8. Visually Windows 8 IS Windows 7. The only difference is that instead of a start bar, you have a start screen. Is it better? Probably not. But the point is to have everything have the safe interface and sync between your phone, laptop, or tablet. Which I'm a fan of. A little bump for the sake of convienence is worth it. Bill Gates said that a long time ago, that he imagined everything will be the same in terms of OS for mobile devices and computers.

Is it perfect? Heck no. But it's a great start.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 10:51 AM

Anyone else think this is just a large dose of bitter-pills after MS decided to make Windows8 run on ARM based devices, and not just the crappy x86 junk we're still saddled with today?

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

The release available now seems to run just fine ... but i always liked AMD for my desktops , so no problem mr CEO.

He was probably drunk

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 11:30 AM

Not to worry - Ubuntu 12.10 will be released on 18 October !... Big Smile

Henri

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 5:49 PM

I''ve used Windows 8. It sucks major donkey testes. For those who claim it's faster, a shorter boot time is not the same as a faster OS; it just means the OS is delaying start-up for non-essential services. Additionally, Win8 lacks Aero Glass (no loss really, but be fair), while Win7 loads it by default. Aero Glass is a bit of a resource hog.

And the cost to train existing business users on the new Win8 interface is estimated by training experts to run between $1000 and $10,000 per user, depending on how many different apps they use now. That's not a number to sneeze at. Major interface changes like between Win7 and Win8, or Office 2003 and Office 2007, are a huge cost to businesses. In the case of Office, it served no useful purpose, and in the case of Windows, it's *worse* than useless. This is why (even though I won't own an Apple product) I admire the Apple OSX update/upgrade philosophy: Incremental changes to the OS, no major changes in the interface in the short term, and low-cost upgrade releases. If Microsoft adopted that philosophy, I'd cheer.

There is no compelling argument for someone who wants his Windows computer to "just work" to switch from Win7 to Win8. If you're running Vista, or even XP, well, a $20 upgrade is a good idea. But otherwise? No. Just no.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS