Apple Tells iPhone 5 Customer Scratches and Chips are "Normal"

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,680
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:25 PM
For a company that's worth over $650 billion, you would think Apple would learn how to better communicate with its customers. Perhaps that's the luxury of being in Apple's position -- as long as people keep buying the company's products, it needn't make excuses for design flaws. Remember the antenna issue that plagued the iPhone 4? Apple's stance was that users were holding the device wrong. Now there are reports that the iPhone 5 isn't up to the rigors of daily use and is prone to scratches and chipping. Some have even reported receiving damaged iPhone 5 models straight from the factory. Well guess what? Those dings and dents on your shiny new iPhone 5 are "normal," Apple says.

In response to a customer email asking about the "scuffs, scratches, and marks throughout the band and around the phone" he's seeing, Apple Senior Vice President of Marketing, Phil Shiller, essentially shrugged it off.

"Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal," Shiller curtly replied.

iPhone 5 Scratches

In designing the iPhone 5, Apple swapped the glass back found on the iPhone 4/4S for a chunk of anodized aluminum, a decision that led to the current "scuffgate," as the Internet has been referring to the issues of scratches and chips. There are reports that as many as 40 percent of all iPhone 5 shipments are already damaged, perhaps from poor handling at the factory in China where they're made. Those that receive a scratch-free iPhone 5 are advised to be extra careful, as iFixIt demonstrates in an enlightening video:

So, what can you do? Other than being extra careful, if you want to avoid scratching your iPhone 5, your best options are to either wrap it in a case or apply a skin, such as the ones that Zagg sells.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,017
Points 9,525
sevags replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:37 PM

Can the skins even be applied to the back aluminum? I don't think so....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Points 2,220
Paul_Lilly replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:55 PM

Yes, Zagg offers full body protection.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:58 PM

No you would think after 5 generations now of excuses for any issues technical or cosmetic that they are not APPLE's fault there your fault somehow the customers would notice but they don't they just claim them to be the greatest new devices no matter there faults to paraphrase the great one "There Magic" and just if you wondered you can see them and hold them in your hand just make sure your wearing gloves and try not to move them around a lot.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,102
Points 11,170
CDeeter replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 4:02 PM

Apple should hire Ellie to do product QA lol.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 517
Points 4,155
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:16 PM

ha normal... quality going down hill... that's rather bad indeed.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 175
ErazmusNZ replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 1:08 AM

Hah, all together now. "Apple Tax" - Approved iDevice Accessory provider kickbacks, ftw. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 1:22 AM

Now I personally have distaste for apple products, not saying they were bad. Often great products but due to costing 200-500% of competitors and often limiting. Either how you can use product or what applications you can use on them. It made it hard to find certain niche programs that i often could for windows or linux or android computers and devices.

But lately I have noticed since the change in leadership, Quality of product and support has taken huge hit. And I think it will take some time but alot of people are going to leave. The ones that stay will be the ones that thought the iphone 4 antenna change was ingenious when it really caused problems and was reason it got knocked off top pr worlds top 10 phone list.

Convincing apple users somethings wrong. Is like trying to convince a straight ticket voter that their candidate has ever done anything wrong. However when you state something like yeah the other guy had a sex change and got arrested for beating their wife its like really yeah I heard about that.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have used many sheaths in my time, but I have never considered using one on a phone!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 8:25 AM

LOL a woman yesterday posted on my Facebook that she could not connect to Pandora because her phone was saying she was in New Zealand whenever she tried to connect and I said you must have an iPhone. She replied that yes she was a early recipient on a pre-order. So it looks like Apple's brilliant work in of there own mapping application is already earning them recognition. She asked me why I told her it was because APPLE iOS6 uses APPLE's own mapping for the GPS rather than Google maps at which point she got very confused and came back with a I thought APPLE did everything right (not word for word but basic) reply, so I replied yup you see what that got you right. I told her basically anything that uses mapping she has a 50% chance of being affected probably.

She was very happy about that as she was at SAN waiting for a plane to Europe where she thought (in fact she was relieing on it) she was going to be able to use her GPS for travel purposes I told her good luck with that one. Seems like basically this is going to ruin her European vacation which sucks. I told her to stop when she got there and purchase an Android phone or a stand alone GPS!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,658
Points 104,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:00 AM

I have a Garmin in each of my cars. Bought them both with lifetime Maps and Traffic and they work very well. I wouldn't consider using an iPhone as a GPS unit because of them.

My daughter and her husband both have iPhones and both of them have been using it's GPS capabilities without problems. So now Apple has booted Google Maps and they use their own?

I can see that there will be an app for that. It will be called Google Maps.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:00 PM

If I remember correctly, reviewers made a big noise about how much lighter the iPhone 5 was than its predecessor, the 4S - 112 g vs 140 g, i e, a difference of some 28 g or about 1 ounce (avoirdupois). Now this amounts to a 20 % difference, so according to the Weber-Fechner law, it should be easily detectable, Adding a case, which would entail an extra 10 g or so, would still mean a nearly 13 % reduction in weight, which, by the same law, should be detectable. But somehow, I don't think even a case will help with the mapping problem....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS