Revolutionary Lytro Camera Landing at an Online Retailer Near You on October 9th

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,970
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:57 AM
The Lytro, a curious and innovative light-field camera that lets you focus and adjust images in-camera after you’ve snapped a photo, will be widely available in the U.S. starting on October 9th.

In just under two weeks, you can purchase your own giant lipstick-looking Lytro online from Target, Best Buy, and Amazon. In November, they’ll be available at CityTarget stores in L.A., Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, and Westwood, CA. They’ll also be available online in Canada on October 9th and in store in Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore later in the month.

The cameras are available in several colors, including Red Hot (16GB, $499), Electric Blue (8GB, $399), and Graphite (8GB, $399).

Lytro camera

The light field design of the cameras means that it captures light from all directions and enables users to focus on different parts of the image after an image is taken; it also eliminates the need for mechanisms like autofocus and shutter delay. The camera has a small 1.52-inch multitouch display and boasts an 8x optical zoom with a constant f/2 aperture.

Proud new Lytro owners will also get free desktop software for importing and processing (requires Mac OS 10.6.6 or higher or Win 7 64-bit), free picture storage on Lytro.com, and a 1 meter micro-USB cable.

The thing is a bit of a curiosity--not so much something you’ll buy to replace your trusty D-SLR or even necessarily your point-and-shoot--but if you have a penchant for exploring photography and have four or five hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you’ll probably want to check the Lytro out.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:18 PM

I'd love to see HH do a test on this machine, which in contrast to a majority of the over-hyped products released recently, really is revolutionary and innovative....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 3:02 PM

News:
The thing is a bit of a curiosity--

Cool technology, but I'm not even ~close~ to $399 or $499 worth of curious.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 4:58 PM

But perhaps curious enough, realneil, to read an HH test if one is offered ? That's about as far as my curiousity will take me.... Smile

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 5:27 PM

mhenriday:
But perhaps curious enough, realneil, to read an HH test if one is offered ?

But of course.

HH posted about this technology months ago and I though it was a great idea then.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 5:51 PM

Right, Ray Willington wrote about it here nearly a year ago. But the difference is that now the device seems to be generally available (in the US, at least - not (yet ?) here in Sweden) and thus perhaps available for an HH test. If the technology works well, perhaps we shall see it adopted in more cameras and lower prices - that is, if Apple doesn't patent it first....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS