Western Digital My Book VelociRaptor Duo Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,110
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:09 AM
Thunderbolt, originally dubbed “Light Peak”, is a dual-protocol interface that combines PCI-Express and DisplayPort into one metaprotocol with bi-directional speeds of up to 10Gbps. The technology makes even the relatively speedy USB 3.0 interface (5Gbps) look downright pokey by comparison.

What would you do if you were a storage company and had this next-gen I/O technology in hand? Probably more or less what Western Digital has done, which is to make an external storage device that teams Thunderbolt’s impressive interface bandwidth with a pair of the company's fastest 1TB VelociRaptor 10,000RPM HDDs. WD calls it the My Book VelociRaptor Duo.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 2:58 PM

Good review by Seth and certainly the best use of the Velociraptor drives that I've ever seen. I won't be investing in one after looking at the PcMark 7 scores for gaming and starting applications but for video editing pros this seems like a good compromise over stuffing the desktop full of HDD's in a raid.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 105

WHen I can afford to upgrade my Mac Book Pro to one of the current models with Thunderbolt, this will be one of the first accessories I'll buy for it. The price is alittle high but worth it for the performance.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 30

I like that it come with a 5 year warranty

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Wish the  Mac Raid 0 configuration had more detailed data like the other benchmarks. The general summary of 2x speed of benchmarks with the Raid 1 configuration is good news. Running this (current street value) $700 storage device in Raid 1 would be a huge waste of money. Only the performance from the combination of Raid 0, 10,000 rpm drives, and dual thunderbolt 6gbs interfaces makes the cost/benefit ratio rational.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS