Woz Wants to Become an Aussie Citizen Because of Country’s National Broadband Network

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,181
Points 1,185,830
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:31 AM
You know Steve Wozniak as the oft-outspoken American programmer who co-founded Apple and invented the Apple I and and Apple II systems, but if he gets his way, you'll soon know him as a bona fide Australian citizen. One of the reasons why Woz finds taking up permanent residence in Australia so appealing is because the country's rolling out a national broadband network.

"I support it very much. It's one of the reasons why I actually like this country and want to become a citizen. I live in a country where we don't have any regulation of telecommunications," Wozniak told The Australian Financial Review in an interview.

According to Wozniak, he'll be able to retain his American citizenship, though he intends to call himself an Australian "and study the history and become as much of a real citizen here as I can." He seems genuinely interested in embracing Australian culture, and genuinely enamored with the country's broadband service.

Steve Wozniak

Here in the States, Wozniak doesn't have broadband service at his California home. As a tech icon, it seems hard to fathom that Wozniak would go without broadband service, but it's a conscious decision he made based on the monopolistic landscape.

"There's only one set of wires to be on and I'm not going to pull strings to get them to do something special for me," he said. "When I worked at Hewlett-Packard we treated ourselves like a family and protecting each other and I believe in that."
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:51 AM

Thats right, a guy willing to switch nationality for broadband! lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:40 PM

I'd be proud to welcome Woz to our great country. But before making the switch he'd better make sure the current opposition party doesn't get in at the next election. Rather than sticking with the fibre-to-the-home plans currently being implemented they believe they can deliver a world class internet infrastructure via 12mb/sec mobile broadband instead of the 100mb (and easily upgraded past 1gb) fibre that is already starting to be rolled out across the nation by the current government.

C'mon, 12 megabits will be more than enough for everyone, right. Despite that the majority of the population already has access to nice cheap 20mb which one can only assume the conservative opposition will switch off and give us 12mb/sec USB mobile broadband dongles should it win the 2013 election.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:51 PM

Perhaps he should just move to one of the cities in Kansas or Missouri that have Google Fiber.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS