Shortcuts

Update: Our iPhone 5 Video Review Added

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,218
Points 1,187,330
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:50 PM
If you haven't been by our iPhone 5 review yet, you really should swing on over.  Apple's new smartphone is remarkable in some respects, ho-hum in others but decidedly gorgeous to behold.  Make no mistake, Android zealots, we're fans of HOT hardware here, (as if the masthead didn't clue you in) so we don't discriminate.  When a new device earns high marks in design elegance, we sit up and take note.  And there's little question, when you actually take time to pick up and handle the hardware, the iPhone 5 is pretty hot.  Beyond design elegance, you also can't argue the cold, hard facts.  The iPhone 5 has the chops in terms of performance as well.  It's not all that and a bag-o-Cheetos however, so make sure dig into the details of our full review.  Our video review is shortly after the break on page one and you can go from there. You'll be glad you did, honest.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
hybriduc replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 6:42 AM

Noticed the benchmarks the other day , which made Android look like

the underdog , note the Samsung Galaxy S3 Us model is dual core ,

the uk S3 quad core variant smokes the iphone 5 in benchmarks .

Be interesting to see specs on upcoming S4 but the newer chipsets

appearing in the mobile market like article on 128GB samsung Nand ,

Arm , Nvidia etc all seem at full speed R&D . And using a proprietary connector

when usb 3.0 would do the job can only be about making more money

out of the consumer .

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,600
Points 55,000
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:53 AM

Can't disagree with any of that, hybriduc. Ought to be an interest Q4 - Q1 2013, especially with all the Windows Phone 8 and Intel Medfield goodness on tap.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Looks awesome too bad its too expensive for me. really wanted one but maybe someday when i reach that amount without spending it on something else but who knows its only gonna get better by that time s4, and all these other new phones are coming out now

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:58 PM

Almost all phones are ridiculously priced whether its apple or another manufacturer when bought outside of contract unless you're a person who demands bleeding edge and is willing to spend for it it's usually not worth it either.

The key is to use upgrades every couple of years with your carrier or at the start of a new contract and you usually get a new phone that will meet most needs and then it's just down to preference between Android or iOS but they're really priced about the same when bought with the conditions I mentioned.

By the time the newer Android phones are out from Samsung, the 5s or further iterations will probably be out as well too. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:47 PM

OSunday:

Almost all phones are ridiculously priced whether its apple or another manufacturer when bought outside of contract unless you're a person who demands bleeding edge and is willing to spend for it it's usually not worth it either.

The key is to use upgrades every couple of years with your carrier or at the start of a new contract and you usually get a new phone that will meet most needs and then it's just down to preference between Android or iOS but they're really priced about the same when bought with the conditions I mentioned.

By the time the newer Android phones are out from Samsung, the 5s or further iterations will probably be out as well too. 

The goal is to just know someone that knows someone that knows someone that gets free phones to hand out! But yeah they are overpriced unless you want to buy 2nd hand or wait a good 3-6 months till the next biggest thing comes out and you get some discount on the phone you want.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS