Shortcuts

Apple Allegedly Steals Swiss Railway Clock Design, Swiss Federal Railway Taking Legal Action

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,486
Points 1,196,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:37 AM
It could be said that when it sues others for stealing design ideas, Apple is a pot calling the kettle black. Further damning evidence is that Apple appears to have swiped the design for the clock in iOS 6 from the Swiss Federal Railways iconic clock.

Here’s a side-by-side of the two:

Apple Swiss clock
Image credits: Newlyswissed (L) and iDownload Blog (R)

As you can see, they’re essentially identical. And yes indeed, the Swiss Federal Railways is taking legal action against Apple for using it illegally. According to swissinfo.ch, the railway clock is widely licensed and used for timepieces of all shapes and sizes, but Apple apparently didn’t bother to pay the fee for its use.

Brilliant, creative people lift ideas (inadvertently or otherwise) from other brilliant, creative people; it just happens. It’s part of the way inspiration works, and it’s not a bad thing. However, if companies like Apple feel the need to go after anyone who it thinks was inspired by (or, to be fair, possibly flat-out copied) its designs, the Cupertino crew better be prepared when the chickens come home to roost.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

You're just looking at it wrong.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:36 PM

I dunno Drake, the swiss really do know their clocks.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
JGaspardo replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 4:02 PM

Well it is more profitable to just steal things and then screw around in court for 30 years.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

That was my failed attempt at a joke referring to the antenna debacle...crickets.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:45 PM

This lawsuit crap is getting old.

It just doesn't ever stop.

(this doesn't mean that I think Apple is right about this)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:41 PM

Why am I not surprised that Apple is involved in ANOTHER lawsuit...especially when it involves design

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

They should have an injunction against the Iphone. That would be funny.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:30 AM

I agree, realneil, that «[t]his lawsuit crap is getting old». But the operative sentence in the article is the following : «Angelccording to swissinfo.ch, the railway clock is widely licensed and used for timepieces of all shapes and sizes, but Apple apparently didn’t bother to pay the fee for its use». This is so typically Apple - fail to pay for using the patent-protected designs, techniques, etc, of others, but sue everyone and his grandmother for infringing upon Apple's own patents and design registrations. This practice came up in the recent Samsung/Apple dispute, but the hometown court - both judge and jury - choose to ignore Apple's infringements of Samsung's patents. I do hope the Swiss Railway nail Apple on this one :

For ’tis the sport to have the engineer
Hoist with his own petar. And ’t shall go hard,
But I will delve one yard below their mines,
And blow them at the moon.

Henri
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS