Android NFC Hack Allows Free Ride on US Subways

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,415
Points 1,193,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:08 AM
Where there are systems for financial transactions, there will always be opportunities to skirt those systems, and that holds true for NFC transactions, too. Researchers have already demonstrated a hack for Android NFC that lets them refill fare card balances for transit systems, including subways, in two states.

Transit Systems With NFC Might Be Vulnerable

The key to the hack is UltraReset, which was developed by researchers Corey Benninger and Max Sobell at Intrepidus Group. The researchers used the app to successfully refill balances on fare cards in New Jersey and San Francisco, using the app on Android phones that have NFC capabilities. Using a legitimate transit card, they simply stored the balance via the app, used up the balance, and then returned the balance to the NFC-based card. They haven’t tested other transit system that use NFC, but suggested that Boston, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and Seattle are among those that might be at risk to this sort of attack.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,695
Points 104,425
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:47 PM

Ingenious stealing,...........what will they think of next?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:28 AM

Human ingenuity is, if not infinite, at least rather impressive - here in Europe there are websites specifically dedicated to hacking payment systems for public transport. That's what I call innovation ! (As a cyclist, I plead innocence - I've never availed myself of these services....  Smile

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS