Sony Unveils New, Slimmer PlayStation 3 Console

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:37 AM
With another holiday season on the horizon, and Black Friday even closer, leave it to Sony to introduce a new console. Well, a reshaped console. For the second time, Sony's PlayStation 3 is getting a makeover. It'll be the thinnest PS3 yet, and it's becoming something of a trend for Sony to start thick and work its way into thinner versions of the same console as time drags on. While the "old" PS3 bodies won't see a price drop, they will become harder to find as these new ones start to funnel into stores in the coming weeks and months. It'll still be called the PlayStation 3, with the new one arriving in three models. There's a 250GB and 500GB edition for the US, and a 12GB flash memory model that will initially land in Europe alone. Here's a bit about the body changes from Sony:

"Thanks to a complete redesign of the internal architecture, the volume and weight of the new PS3 has been reduced by more than half compared to the very first PS3 model with a 60GB HDD, and by 20% and 25% respectively compared to the current PS3. By adopting a sliding disk cover, the new PS3 continues with the characteristic sleek curved body design, which fits various places in the home and enables users to enjoy an array of entertainment content.

With the extra HDD capacity which has been extended from 320GB and 160GB, users can store and enjoy more and more entertainment content including games, music, photos, and video on the new PS3. In addition, the new PS3 with 12GB flash memory offers opportunities to experience the world of PlayStation® at an affordable price point. Users can also expand the storage capacity of the 12GB flash memory PS3 by connecting a dedicated HDD (250GB) to be released concurrently with the new model5. In addition, a variety of accessories will be introduced by SCE to meet various kinds of needs from users including a vertical stand that offers more flexibility in how the new PS3 can be displayed."

The new units will begin hitting shelves later this month with a $269.99 starting price. Hopefully, we'll see the thicker models hit Black Friday with major savings in tow.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 6:37 AM

Still way too expensive for a console which was lackluster even when it first came out. I wonder what Sony has stripped out of this model given their habit of removing features from the previous 2 ones like backwards compatibility, ability to run a different OS etc.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 9:57 AM

No telling I think over all for all the console makers it is relatively sad they don't have completely new models primarily for the Playstation and Xbox model Nintendo comes out with new models on a way more regular ratio than either of the other players.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

They are doing this because they are trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of this new slimmer version before they move on to next generation consoles, which will be around in 2014 so we have to wait 1 more year, and Microsoft will probably do the same, I mean with the Wii U coming in December(I heard from GameSpot off Twitter) and the Ouya in March of 2013, Sony is going have to complete with more then just MS and Nintendo. But yeah I bet it will have features removed since the new one did as well. $ony fer lyfe.. trolololol.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JHerry replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 6:47 AM

The Sony PS3 is fantastic. I am just loving the experience of using it from the day i bought it. Same is true for www.absinthelights.com/lighting/indoor-led-lighting/wall-lights as well, I redecorated my house using illuminaries from here and anyone sees it is quite impressed by the functionality.

Your friends are going to envy you, just because this Sony PS3 is so amazing!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS