HGST Reveals Helium-Filled Hard Drive Platform: Yes, Helium

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:51 AM
You may have heard of liquid nitrogen being used in computer cases, mostly for cooling and bragging, but what about helium? Not so much. However, Hitachi GST (HGST) has just introduced a new platform of helium-filled hard drives. The company states that these offer greater capacity and significantly reduce the total cost of ownership for corporate and cloud data-centers. But what of the helium itself?

Well, the density of helium is one-seventh that of air. This lower density means dramatically less drag force acting on the spinning disk stack so that mechanical power into the motor is substantially reduced. The lower helium density also means that the fluid flow forces buffeting the disks and the arms, which position the heads over the data tracks, are substantially reduced allowing for disks to be placed closer together (i.e., seven disks in the same enclosure) and to place data tracks closer together (i.e., allowing continued scaling in data density). The lower shear forces and more efficient thermal conduction of helium also mean the drive will run cooler and will emit less acoustic noise. That's according to HGST, but it sure lines up with science.

"The benefits of operating a HDD with helium fill have been known for a long time. The breakthrough is in the product and process design, which seals the helium inside the HDD enclosure cost effectively in high-volume manufacturing," said Steve Campbell, chief technology officer at HGST. "We are excited about the introduction of this platform, which demonstrates HGST technology leadership and is the result of more than six years of development in materials science, mechanical engineering and process technology. Thanks to the hard work of our research and engineering teams, our initial pilot lines are up and operational, putting HGST in position to introduce this technology first into the market."

HGST will release specific capacities points and product specifications when the platform launches in 2013. Until then, don't hold your helium-filled breath.
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Glenn K. replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:32 PM

Cool idea. Another benefit would be an increased life span of the device due to the reduction in friction.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:37 PM

And when the drive dies you can break open the drive and suck up the helium for a funny voice... :P

Most definitely a neat idea.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SLoch replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:16 PM

Great, another use for a gas that's in short supply. Price helium lately?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:11 PM

We'll be paying for the Gas when we buy the drives.

If they can keep the prices low and the drives are reliable, then I'm all for the idea.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,817
Points 45,650
rapid1 replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 11:22 PM

I was like where is my comment and then realized that was on Facebook HH! Either way using a lazer or light reader and the only point of contact being the drive bar in the center if these were airtight the internals would be pretty much touch free floating on air. The benefits would be reduced energy as well as friction therefore low heat and extended life with most likely increased operational speeds as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,817
Points 45,650
rapid1 replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 11:24 PM

Oh that would mean it would be in a sealed airtight container injected with helium gas, airtight being the key I would think.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

This is a great concept and I would love to see a study of one of these drives Vs a normal HDD to compare performance and such. And yeah, I'm sure these drives are gonna cost more because of the helium.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS