Patriot Gauntlet Node Wi-FI Drive Enclosure Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:42 AM

Patriot Gauntlet Node Wi-FI Drive Enclosure ReviewThere are a couple of inconveniences of modern connected living that Patriot Memory is trying to address with a product called the Gauntlet Node. One is the problem of storage; the only computer or mobile device we have--and you know that we have quite a few--that isn’t constantly running out of local storage is your big desktop system. Whether it’s due to our packrat-like tendencies, our prolific shutterbugging, our library of music and movies, or the need to maintain secure backups of all of it, file storage is a nagging problem.

The Gauntlet Node is a wireless hard drive enclosure that offers a possible solution to both problems; it’s a self-contained portable media server that supports bulk storage (hard drives and SSDs) and can stream via WiFi to up to 8 devices simultaneously...

Patriot Gauntlet Node Wi-FI Drive Enclosure Review

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
BSmith2 replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 5:10 PM

WiFi hard drive?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DFawcett replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 1:40 AM

RTFA or STFU

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jellybean replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:31 PM

Thanks for the nice review and helpful setup screens. Just got the unit a few days ago and the review is spot on, the drive is not perfect, but can be very handy and is perfectly adequate. Also like the review says, battery life did not reach 5hrs when streaming video.  Lasted about 3hrs before it stopped streaming and then flashed a low battery warning on my screen.

I installed an old/spare 200gb drive I had and formatted it once installed in the enclosure. Streaming SD worked just fine on my Tegra 2 based phones and tables, but I needed a Tegra 3 or S4 based device (Nexus 7, HTC One S) to play the 720p vids without stuttering.

Next time we have a long drive or stay at a hotel, my kids can just connect to the Gauntlet and watch all their videos from their phones and tablets. No more, "Dad, can you load this show on my tablet or load this song on my phone?" before we go on a trip. For me, this device is well worth the $99

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

I just recently got one of these. While the home use really hasn't impressed me, I'm excited to take it on the road.

I've considered downloading movies for my kid, so on road trips I can hook my phone up to the dvd player in the backseat and she can be entertained for hours. I took a look and found this article and saw the playtime is quite disappointing, however I think this is easily solved by plugging it into a USB charger in a 110v outlet in a car, or just keeping it charged at the office/house. I can't imagine using it much without plugging it in.The upside for me is being able to stream all the music I want, and have a few movies streaming while I'm cruising down the road. Perhaps I'll load it up with some music and give it a test drive on the way to work tomorrow.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 2:51 PM

Hexus is having a give away for one these!

http://hexus.net/tech/features/storage/49209-win-one-five-patriot-gauntlet-node-wireless-enclosures/ 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:18 PM

I saw that earlier too, and happened to learn how many devices can be connected at once, lol.  I own the thing and didn't know how many devices could be connected.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:41 PM

Yeah 8 devices...
In a family of 6, that's actually not unrealistic to use since most everyone has a cell phone and there are more than 2 computers in the house as well haha 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS