Chinese Phone Maker Rips Off iPhone 5 Design, GooPhone I5 Breaks Cover

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,721
Points 1,208,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:09 AM

Could it be that a Chinese company has patented the iPhone 5 design before Apple had the chance? It appears so based on images and a video of Chinese phone maker GooPhone's GooPhone I5. Interestingly enough, the GooPhone I5 is an Android smartphone that has a similar design to the rumored iPhone 5.

The GooPhone I5 looks a lot like a large iPhone 4S. It features a 4-inch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 720, small dock connector, and large external speaker grills. Other key specs include a 1.4GHz quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, 1GB RAM, Android 4.0 ICS with an iOS 6 theme, and an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera. The headphone jack on the GooPhone I5 resides on the bottom edge of the phone.

GooPhone claims it has patented the design of the GooPhone I5 in China. If this is true and if that patent holds up in court, it's possible GooPhone could block Apple from selling its iPhone 5 in China. It's also been suggested that GooPhone may be able to block iPhone 5 exports all together. The GooPhone I5   isn't expected to launch until after the iPhone 5 later this month, which could make things really interesting.

• | Post Points: 170
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:15 PM

I read this on cnn yesterday, and this is easily going to be thrown out. I am not a big fan of apple suing everyone for appearance and i would love apple to get some payback, but this is clearly a bs claim.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

Only in the land of China....lol. hmmm....what is Apple to do? :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:51 PM

How does that medicine taste, Apple? Big Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 8:20 PM

Apple isn't going to be touched by this with the amount of business they bring to china. The Chinese government isn't going to let a clear rip off threaten apple.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

Rip-off ? Isn't the principle «first to register gets the patent» ? Isn't that what Apple's patent's are based on : ripping off prior art and then registering it ? What's sauce for the Apple goose is sauce for the GooPhone gander, in China and elsewhere....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 8:48 AM

Haha this is great, lets see how much press this actually gets and how it will affect the sales of iphone 5. I totally agree with Henri as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

What I'd like to see, when Apple does condescend to vouchsafe us an iPhone 5, is for HH to run a side-by-side test of that apparatus and the GooPhone I5. It would be interesting to see the results and compare the (unlocked) prices for the respective machines....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 12:48 PM

Well if a person can prove that they made something or came up with a idea before some one it doesn't matter who patented the idea first. Also apple isn't the only company having copies made of their products by gooPhone. It has been making copies of samsung and HTC devices.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

«... if a person can prove that they made something or came up with an idea before some one [sic !] it doesn't matter who patented the idea first.» You make it sound easy, fat78, but that little verb «prove» is fraught with difficulties. Apple was able to «prove» to the satisfaction of a hometown court that it was responsible for all those «innovations» and that Samsung was «infringing», while similar cases were thrown out of court in both the UK and Japan. Of course, if one believes that the US is the navel of the universe, than what happens in the US District Court for the Northern District of California is of far greater significance than everything else put together - but those of us who don't happen to share that fond delusion may, perhaps, be excused for viewing things differently....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 4:24 PM

This may be similar to the patent infringement between apple and samsung, but look at the phone they are trying to pass off as there own. The phone is the same as the iphone 4 except for a few very minor changes.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

«The phone [i e, GooPhone I5] is the same as the iphone 4 except for a few very minor changes.» Well yes - if one regards a 1.4 GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor as a «very minor change» from a dual-core 800 MHz A9, 1 GB RAM as a «very minor change» from 512 MB RAM,  a 4 inch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels as a «very minor change» from a 3.5 inch screen with a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels, and an Android 4.0 ICS as a «very minor change» from a iOS 5.1, 5 (the specs used for comparison above are those of the iPhone 4S ; those of the iPhone 4 differ even more). In the event, however, that one does not consider the above as «very minor changes», it becomes difficult to regard them as the «same» phone....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 1:02 PM

The issue is over the appearance of the device, not the software or hardware of the device. If they were trying to sue over the processor, screen, memory, and operating system, then i believe other companies would be very upset at them for claiming their designs as there own. Seeing that i am pretty sure Tegra 3 is made by nvidia and goophone doesn't control who gets to use that chip.

This company is clearly trying to market their phone as a iphone to sell more. They wouldn't make it look exactly the same as the iphone if they weren't. The only difference in appearance is the port on the bottom, screen size, the logo, and a slight color difference on the outside. They even are calling it goophone I5 and making the android os like apples iOS.

I dont like Apple, but i think this is clearly a design rip off. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

Well, fat78, given that we have such different understandings of what locutions like «is the same as» means, there's little point in our continuing this discussion. If you meant «looks the same as» in your earlier posting, perhaps you should have said so....

Henri

replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:46 AM

OK, I'm a PC guy using HTC gingerbread, but seeing apple so miserable now makes me so sad.

No true PC fan could ever truly hate both Apple nor Apple products, I am who I am an world IS better place because of Apple. This is true horror.

Instead of hireing an entire advocate system, wouldn't it be better to have another visionar to make world chase Apple, not other way around?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
VDugas replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 2:43 PM

The writer of this article needs to experience life without the silver spoon.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS