Atari and Microsoft Bring Favorite Arcade Classics To Your Web Browser

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,498
Points 1,196,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 8:50 PM
If you have a hard time picturing what your childhood would have been like without blasting asteroids to smithereens or battling your friends in Pong, you’re in for a treat. If you have no idea what we’re talking about, you’re still in for a lot of fun, thanks to Atari. The venerable game maker is partnering with Internet Explorer to launch Atari Arcade, complete with a ton of Atari’s best-loved games.

Atari’s 40-year anniversary and Internet Explorer’s upcoming version 10 are the reasons for the new, HTML5-based online game platform. Multiple browsers are supported, but Internet Explorer gets the ad-free version. Microsoft is using the platform to showcase Internet Explorer’s HTML5 support.

Atari Arcade On Internet Explorer

“Atari and Microsoft have had a long and successful history on Xbox LIVE and in the digital space,” said Jim Wilson, CEO of Atari. “The reimagined Atari Arcade expands this partnership in a new direction, in keeping with our current digital strategy, making it easier than ever for gamers around the world to access our renowned franchises, through the power and flexibility of an HTML5 based platform.”

If you’re a developer, stay tuned. You’ll be able to get a hold of CreateJS so you can put your game-creating skills to the test. And if you’re headed to PAX Prime (now through September 2), check out Internet Explorer’s booth in the north lobby for more Atari Arcade fun. Also, don’t miss the promo video with Nolan Bushnell.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Ahh the good old days. Im not that old but sure have played these classics games.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:22 PM

nicoletoledo:

Ahh the good old days. Im not that old but sure have played these classics games.

thats amusing  and honest to  boot    yep I remember having a slight wristt/  hand thing problemo " thingy'" playing the Defender game on Atari > & had to take a break to honestly re-consider since playing musical instruments  [hand percussion] was a boatload of my livelihood at the time.

Pretty sure there are plenty of good ol game to play

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 2:28 AM

You can never go wrong with bringing classic games back and vamping up the graphics. I myself have played atari games since the original atari and I love them :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:06 AM

That is awesome. These are perfect for wasting a few minutes here and there when bored and taking a break.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,106
Points 11,190
CDeeter replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:25 AM

Spent a lot of time, and lots of quarters playing Asteroids. This sounds like a great idea!

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 255

Really nice, i'll have to try this ! Played Asteroids too (even if i'm not really old yes i did hihi).

Old days coming back ? Sounds great to me ! hehe

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I can haz ponginvaders?

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 9:17 PM

Now, this is something I can get excited about. The good 'ole games that got me through my childhood....yes please!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS