NVIDIA Delivers Unreal Engine 3 Support to Windows 8 and Windows RT, Offers a Guided Video Demo

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,496
Points 1,196,660
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:50 PM
Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3 has made its way onto most platforms worth gaming on, and today, NVIDIA debuted the game engine on another pair of platforms--Windows 8 and Windows RT.

In a video on a blog post, NVIDIA showed off a demo of Unreal Engine 3 on an ASUS Vivo Tab RT, which has a quad-core Tegra 3 chip powering the system. (Never heard of it? Pop over here and check it out.) As you can see in the video, the demo is smooth as butter and looks terrific.

Even better, this is a full PC implementation of Unreal Engine 3 instead of a mobile derivative, so game developers should be able to port their games to Window RT (and Windows 8) quickly and with ease.

In the post, Epic Games vice president Mark Rein was quoted as saying, “The Unreal Engine 3-powered ‘Epic Citadel’ demonstration for Windows RT tablets implements the full DirectX 9 pipeline, with shaders and materials, all running beautifully on Tegra 3. Windows RT code is available to licensees from Epic now and we’re excited to see the great games they develop with it.”

That’s some nice innovatin’ there, folks, and this development helps to bolster Microsoft’s position in the tablet market.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:09 PM

Awesome that this runs and they've got it fully functional.. but this shouldnt be taken to mean that Samaritan and other UE3 produced titles will run WELL on it without good enough hardware, such as the tablet in question. Consumers are sometimes rather silly and this could lead to disappointments.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 3:04 PM

I can see the first generating windows 8 tablets having a hard time running games that are full computer versions, because of the hardware requirements, but that doesn't change for anything, computers can't run computer games without meeting the hardware requirements.

As the windows tablets mature we will see fully functional Computer games on the tablets running smoothly even games that are a little more graphics intensive if Nvidia has anything to say about it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

i can only game for a little bit on a phone and thats when im on the road. but you wont really experience true gaming once you do it on a pc(my own personal opinion.) but windows 8 is not really suitable for that kind of thing even thou with the support of major companies its hard to play without actual physical controllers.....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 4,720
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 7:42 PM

I have to say that i was dead set on getting the PRO version but after see how well the RT can do things I mean look at the RT. I wont be playing pc games on it but it is nice to know that it can.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:20 PM

35fps in an optimized demo...and will be priced at close to $600. Pass...

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS