Hisense Launching Pulse Set-Top Box Powered By Google TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,540
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:54 PM
Consumer electronics maker Hisense is tossing its hat into the Google TV ring with the Pulse, it announced today. The set-top box is slated for a November arrival and will be sold for under $99.

As you would expect from this sort of set-top box, the Pulse is tiny. It’s under 5 inches wide and deep and only 1.37 inches tall, and weighs 1.5 pounds. The box has an HDMI input and an HDMI output and supports 1080p video (and H.264, MPEG-4, and AVC formats). It also has USB and Ethernet ports (one each), as well as Wi-Fi. The device also supports picture-in-picture viewing.

Hisense Pulse With Google TV

It’s interesting to see how set-top makers are designing their remotes. Hisense opted for a two-sided remote that has several buttons (including a Netflix button) on one side, and a QWERTY keyboard on the other. A rounded side gives the remote an almost book-ish appearance.

The Pulse is powered by Google TV, which provides Web surfing and tons of video streaming options. "For consumers who already have an HDTV and want to enjoy all the benefits of streaming content, the convenience of web access and apps, Google TV is the answer," says JoAnne Foist, Director of Marketing at Hisense USA. "It allows users to take advantage of their existing cable/satellite TV subscriptions and their existing high-definition TVs to bring many features straight to their fingertips. The lines between traditional TV and Web content are blurring - people want to watch all types of content, and the Hisense Pulse with Google TV provides exactly that."
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 5:13 PM

I LOVE that remote. My kids would murder it however.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 6:11 PM

I'll wait to see a review but I would be interested something like this. Would like to see how the remote feels to use as far as the keyboard goes. That could be a deal breaker.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,852
Points 45,915
rapid1 replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:04 PM

Yeah JOMA I agree this has been slowly happening anyway I know several people who use nothing but the web and netflix. I still watch several season programs (CSI etc Dexter, Game of Thrones) though and I am kind of a Football nut. However sports is kind of slowly coming to the web football first college (GO DAWGS) and pro (RISE UP) this year seem to be more available. Either way I bet everyone in TV and especially local TV is feeling kind of hunted.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Simplicity is the key feature in the remote. I like it

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:18 PM

@rapid1 I use the web for most of my tv viewing, that includes downloaded shows or XBMC or other streaming sites (haven't found a really good one since Ice films but the veetle and 1channel addon in XBMC are great to keep me entertained). I ordered a Raspberry Pi to play around with but haven't gotten it yet, this thing at $99 sounds like a good deal but like JOMA said I need a good review to make a decision.

Also what is that clear space on the remote?? Is that a trackpad or some sort of display?? Either way that would be awesome if it works well.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS