Dropbox Fulfills Promise to Tighten Security with Two-Step Verification

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,000
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:09 PM
Earlier this month, popular cloud storage service Dropbox was hacked. According to the company, user login credentials were swiped from another site, and those credentials were used to access Dropbox user accounts. At least one of those accounts actually belonged to a Dropbox employee, who had more user email addresses and passwords stored in his or her Dropbox folders.

Dropbox contacted affected users directly and presumably gained complete control over the breach, but it pledged to take steps to beef up its security so that such a thing would be less likely to happen again.

That promise is now officially fulfilled, as Dropbox announced its new two-step verification process.

Dropbox two-step authentication

Now, in order for anyone (yourself included) to access your Dropbox account, the service requires a password as well as a security code. The latter will be sent to your phone or automatically generated with a mobile authenticator app, which is available on your mobile platform of choice. You can also take a peek at all active logins on your Dropbox Security tab to make sure no one besides you is accessing your account.

Note that you’ll only have to take this extra step once when using Dropbox on your computer or mobile device, and even if you’re using the service via a Web browser, you can indicate that the machine you’re using is a trusted computer so you won’t have to use the code again.

If you’re looking for detailed setup instructions, you can find them here.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

You can never be too cautious. And if a conpany promises on something .... well thry better deliver. And they did

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:12 AM

Already using this. When Dropbox was breached earlier this year I freaked out. I calmed down when I realized I wasn't stupid enough to put important/sensitive information on the cloud.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Johannes replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:11 AM

Even if it is late it's nice to see that leading companies in their respective verticals are giving users the better balance between security and user experience by implementing 2FA which allows us to telesign into our accounts. I know some will claim this make things more complicated, but the slight inconvenience each time you log in is worth the confidence of knowing your files are secure. I'm hoping that more companies start to offer this awesome functionality. This should be a prerequisite to any system that wants to promote itself as being secure.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 11:43 AM

With home storage costs at an all time low, I don't store my data online, anywhere.

Newegg has a deal today for a 3TB 7200RPM SATA-III HDD for $139.00 shipped.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS