Samsung Shows Off Galaxy S III Design Video

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,218
Points 1,187,270
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:53 AM
While Samsung as a whole is reeling from a $1 billion verdict handed down in the vaunted Apple vs. Samsung patent trial, the company still has to keep the gears turning in the meantime. The Galaxy line overall has been a focal point for Apple, with the original Galaxy S allegedly designed to look an awful lot like the iPhone. But the Galaxy S III is taking on a shape of its own, and indeed, a life of its own. While S Voice may snag some of the traits of Siri, Samsung wants you to know that the device was designed inside and out to be its own creature. In fact, it's interested to see Samsung on the offensive with videos such as these; in truth, it's usually only Apple that rolls out self-glorifying videos telling the behind-the-scenes story about a product. Irony?

• | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Indeed its irony. You have to fire with fire. Damn those apple people

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
hanmeing replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:46 AM

That texting app looks horrible. I still can't get over how bad it looks. I remember watching a SGS2 commercial with my girlfriend and she chucked and laughed when they showed someone texting saying "Heh, no phone has a texting app that looks like that." Yikes. I can't believe anyone would ever choose Touchwiz over stock ICS. Gingerbread maybe, but not ICS.

I was hoping for more from the new Touchwiz. Like a Sense 4 style upgrade. Oh well. I guess Samsung will have to go thru a few months of disappointing sales like HTC did to get the point.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:47 AM

After the ruling on that lawsuit this phone is looking more and more appealing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:03 PM

After having to pay out a billion dollars to their competitors, samsung is going to have to come back in a big way. And they know it.

The new "self glorifying videos" have always appealed to me, i have always been an egotist. Samsung might just pull the rug out from under Apple. You can guarantee that the whole company now has a chip on their shoulders. With the enforced distance in design between apple and samsung it is a big possibility that we see some major changes, more unique then in the past. Samsung will be forced to think outside of the box, and you can bet they will be patenting every move to keep apple locked inside it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:32 PM

Last I heard, Samsung is worth $101 Billion (that's such a huge number I feel it deserves to be capitalized), that's less than 1% of their entire worth. It's a hit, don't get me wrong, but it's by no means crippling.

That'd be great if they could do it. But let's be real, in the appeal case they're going to decide that Apple has the patent on mobile electronics, forbidding all competition.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:53 PM

Aha funny way to hit back at apple. I own an iphone but trust me, next phone upgrade just might possibly be an andrioid device. The only reason I don't own an andrioid device at the moment is because the cell phone company im with just started rolling out android devices at the time when i bought my iphone :(

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:02 AM

As far as the court case w/Apple goes the ruling is at least partially BS and you can guarantee Samsung will just refile. The thing that gets me most is was it not Bill Gates who said they steal freely and that it was more of a compliment than being criminal in action.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:11 AM

I must confess to a hearty dislike for this type of inane self-glorification, but on the other hand, I may not be a typical user and Samsung may have guessed right that far more prospective users will be charmed than put off by these barnyard leavings (pardon my circumlocution, but HH has rather strict filters, so I found myself unable to use the phrase that first came to mind). What they may not have considered, however, is that Apple almost certainly has - despite ample «prior art» on the part of advertisers since those halcyon days when radio «soap operas» got that name - taken out a patent on this practice. If they are not careful, Samsung might well find itself back in Ms Koh's court, answering to another claim from Apple with regard to the latter's patent on «hogwash in advertising». «Pebbles in the stream», indeed !...

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 2:02 PM

Hahaha, yea that sounds about right.

The only thing is, a companies worth is determined by how many stock holders it has, it is generally pretty close to the amount of assets it has like buildings machinery and branding plus its history of earnings. Just because Samsung is worth 101 Billion, doesn't mean that the company has 101 Billion dollars to spend, so the lawsuit might be much larger than 1 percent of their capital.

Ps. its also the principle of the thing, Samsung was beat in court and they know it. No matter what way you spin it they could lose 1-3 Billion dollars and that's a huge blow.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 55
NNvn replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:42 PM

Designed for humans... "Smart"phones designed for humans ?? Not many people are smart nowadays anyway...

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125
NKR replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:51 PM

That awkward moment when the Smartphone is smarter than you :-D

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
SandMulls replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:01 PM

Both iPhone and Samsung SIII are great looking. Both companies are really doing good in terms of sales. Right? Some couldn't just get enough and they want more "bulk" revenues.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

Haha

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 115
PKumar replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:09 PM

Poor Samsung ...1 Billion dollars