Samsung To Appeal Apple Lawsuit Ruling: This Fight Isn't Over Yet

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,895
Points 1,174,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:31 AM
You knew it'd happen. Despite being handed down on a Friday, the ruling over the Apple vs. Samsung patent trial was going to evoke statements, and potentially more, from both sides. And now that the verdict is in, both Apple and Samsung are making public statements. Naturally, the tones on each side could not possibly be more different. Apple is celebrating the outcome as a victory for innovation, saying that it was "about values." Of course, the same Apple that celebrates these values says nothing of the Notification Center pull-down UI that it seemingly snagged from Android, nor of iMessage and its similarity to RIM's BBM protocol. At any rate, here's Apple's blurb:
"We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right."

On the other side of the fence, Samsung is already voicing its right to an appeal. It's also suggesting that the ruling will hugely harm consumers, with fewer choices across the industry and perhaps higher prices, too. Sure, a billion dollars isn't a huge sum for a company like Samsung, but the impact will last well after the check is written. Here's Samsung's quote:
"Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."
Needless to say, we haven't seen the end of this one.

• | Post Points: 290
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

That statement from apple pisses me off. What a bunch of crooks they copied aswell might aswell just droo everything because everybody seems to have taken from everybody. But no, apple has to prove something ....yah being a douchebag. I will never own apple products for aslong as i live . If you give it to me ill sell it and get pc parts. How absurd

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

You cant call that innovation if you copied it and its not values if you stole it. Uggghhh apple really gets on my nerves. Sorry for the rant but they are just full of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CRW replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:21 AM

Before I only disliked Apple for their money-grabbing tactics but now I loath & despise them. I will discourage my customers from buying from Apple at every turn from now on! Grr.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Just saying... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
hanmeing replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:03 AM

This is terrible for competition as you will not see much improvement in the near future and apple will get away with everything. I will never use an apple product again. By the way are they going to find a replacement vendor for memory....I think not. This is stupid and favors mental fanboys only. Why not copyright the round wheel forcing competition to use square and triangle wheels.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:52 AM

Nicoletoledo is right; Apples statement is infuriating. It has absolutely nothing to do with the case and is just another attempt to make Apple appear to be an excellent and innovative company.

Samsungs statement is bang on the money. How can you PATENT "rectangles with rounded corners"? Heck, Apple may just have to sue every stylized website on the internet for that infringement, as it's an EXCEPTIONALLY common thing. They're going to need to sue HP for using rounded corners on their notebooks for the last 4+ years too.

Come on Apple, where's the lawsuit?

OH WAIT, HP aren't a direct threat to your revenue stream. Samsung is. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
d1nte replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:56 AM

Hi everyone i am from South America Guyana. I am a IT administrator and technologist fanatic. I love IT and

technology,...i am a fan off many technologies including apple and Samsung. I find Apple to be very good at what

they do.

But before Samsung ever made their Galaxy phone and all the other phones that hey have, they were many other

before them. Many companies who had the same ideas for example:

Moving on the same line was one of the current market l leaders in the industry HTC. That’s right. HTXC was also

among the first ones in the market to have come up with their own idea of touch screen devices and designs.

The device in discussion was called the HTC Wallaby aka XDA which popped its head in the market in the year

of 2002.

However , if all models and devices are taken into consideration then it’s none other than Apple to whom goes the

credit for coming up with the first touch screen concept in the market, features and design. Apple was actually the

very first company who had first proposed and then eventually gave wings to their dreams by launching touch screen phone, and happen to create to be the first ever portable computer launched by Apple in 1984.

Apple is one of the companies that made big bucks by making right use of the Touch Screen features. They have a

lot to speak for they never stole,..they asked and received the rights to use other technologies to further in hence there products. Samsung are good products them self's,....but we have to remember one thing people....they live in a competitive world where Apple leads the market for Touch technology and features as well as design. And other

any company that realizes that, will have to / or will do what need to be done in order to stay in the market.

So don't be angry with Apple for bragging and being happy for there victory..that's the way this world is. Samsung

has to pattern the Galaxy product and will always have to pattern there technology off of other leading companies in

order to survive in the business in some way or the other. Samsung just needs to smart at what they are doing or

do something that Apple or any other company has never done as yet!

It's all about creativity!!!! and being smart.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,089
Points 11,030
CDeeter replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:43 AM

Time for Samsung to stop supplying Apple with parts.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:45 AM

@d1nte

You said it yourself " they never stole,..they asked and received the rights to use other technologies to further in hence there products." so how is this original. Apple incorporates technology from different companies to produce a good looking product (good looking not superior the new ipad for example, looks great but i'll take the galaxy note tablet anyday). Now Samsung may have done the same thing but at the most basic level. All they copied from Apple was how some of their devices look. What most people are angry about is how STUPID that is, like hanmeing said what if somebody decided to patent a Circle, would the entire world owe them royalties. The fault isn't solely Apples, part of the blame is the ridiculous patents that were granted to them by the Patents Office. Apple tried a dirty trick and it worked (probably helped along with a few briefcases of money) but either way at this point they hold the winning hand and history is written by the winners so we'll just have to wait and see how badly everybody gets screwed. I know that there are other things that the isheep and Apple say that Samsung "stole" from Apple but this rounded corners thing is what urks me the most as well.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:51 AM

This whole thing is ridiculous. I love Apple's iOS products but this made me lose quite a bit of respect for the company. I hope when they lose hard in the appeal case.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:21 PM

Hopefully, this time Apple will have to drive more than 10 miles to get to the courthouse.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&gl=us&daddr=cupertino&saddr=san+jose&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=KfU_-Yrkyo-AMXtxn8oKjJ25%3BKat30xtXtI-AMbR44aPhP005&ei=NPk4UI3FAce9qAGolYDgAw&ved=0CB8Q9w8wAA

View Larger Map

Samsung can't ever hope to get a fair trial in Apple's back yard.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:58 PM

Why should Apple lose? the court and jury ruled in their favor. Not only that but samsung is going to lose the appeals case too. Their is too much evidence that samsung has copied apple and they need to ay for it. Apple isn't perfect alot of times their really stupid but their right in this one. Samsung needs to own up to its actions.

If samsung has complaints about apple let them lodge a formal lawsuit so that a court can decide who is right and wrong. Samsung has no right to steal intellectual property.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Apple may not or may lose the appeal but they have lost the war, people that are in the middle of this and are undecided wether to be on their side or not will be turning their back on them due to the fact of that nonesense statement they made. Well if i was a fan boi i would embarassed by this. This is ludacris. Im still angry from last night upon reading this.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
MMadru replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:19 PM

In apple's defense don't hate the player hate the game. We need patent reform now. Granted I won't be recommending Apple products anymore, but the problem isn't that Apple abused the system, but that the system is set up to be abused.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 481
Points 3,825
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:50 PM

I agree how can Samsung get a fair trial in Apples back yard. It was always going to be Apple that would win.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

@mmadru

It dorsnt matter if the system gets abused but what apple is talking about is not aboutptents and money its VALUES which apperntly dont mean anything to them since they dont have any since they are abusing or taking advantage of the law. So much for your principle apple.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,700
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:04 AM

This fight will not be over for years I am pretty sure.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 6:52 AM

Apple's «values» ? They would seem to be that when one can no longer compete in the market place with such for customers and users valuable qualities as quality and price, one turns to the courts and competition by lawyer. Part of the responsibility must, of course, be borne by the US Patent Office and the legislators who set the rules, but Apple seems to take pride of place as the worst abuser of a failed system. Apple, of course, is laughing all the way to the bank - the only effective means to affect that company's policies would be a consumer boycott, but alas, as I have mentioned earlier, that does not seem to be in the cards....

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 481
Points 3,825
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:32 PM

I just read the apple statement again and what a croc of ***... they copied everyone and that really bugs me how they believe that they innovated everything.

I have to say that reading people post regarding apples statement, apple really lost a lot of peoples vote after that statement.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95

Suits and Counter Suits... Someone needs to put a legislation to end this culture of suing ! How will people sell anything if these 100 year old Patent laws are followed

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
mapperboy replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 9:18 PM

No surprise...

Apple has been walking on the copyright 'infringement' tightrope for their entire corporate history.

But it only becomes an issue when their level of greed egged on by expensive retainer legal firms is threatened.

For those who have never seen it please take the time to view the film Pirates of Silicon Valley; it's a critically acclaimed portrayal of both Jobs and Gates during the formative years. Consider how much of the unprecedented success that both companies later enjoyed was based on sheer unabashed greed and intellectual theft.

Given that the entire Apple GUI concept, most of the look-and-feel of the Apple screen from the use of icons, a visual pointing device (mouse) and many of the core design concepts was hijacked from PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) in the first place now seems to matter not one whit. These original questionable ethics have been carefully Whitewashed out of Apple's history and while Jobs is elevated to God-like Mythical status. The Nazi's and Soviets couldn't have pulled off a better propaganda and history re-write.

I'm sorry but Apple is just way too overrated, overhyped and under powered technologically for me to take seriously; drill deeply into ANY of their so-called innovations and you'll find not much except well worn second hand ideas - OSX? Gestures? Retina displays? An new product release to fix the last white soap bar which should have been released as a beta? I guess I'm just not Thinking Different!

-I gotta hand it to Apple, the emperors have NO clothes, but they sure are dazzlingly white and wield very big sticks!

Apple talks in its statement about "values" and 'delighting our customers". Then why has Apple along with a few other giants also used corporate lobbyists and attorneys here to rewrite the copyright rules.

(Please checkout Cory Doctrow's essay Creativity Vs. Copyright, delivered at the 2010 World Sci Fi Convention in Melbourne, which sheds some much need light and truth about Digital Rights Management (DRM). Under the new terms the real creators such as authors, musicians and artists hardly get a dime from their copyrighted works. Apple and the other media distributor giants now get the lions share of royalty revenue though their 'licensing' schemes..like merit-less lawsuits this is yet another smoke screen and legal distortion designed to further degrade consumer democracy and freedom of choice while robbing the true creators of their fair share.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS