Jury to Samsung: You Owe Apple $1.05 Billion for Patent Infringement

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,831
Points 1,168,380
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:27 PM
It's probably way too early to start playing Taps, but holy hell, Samsung's uphill battle just got exponentially steeper after a U.S. jury finished deliberating in the high profile patent trial waged by Apple. The verdict? Samsung is guilty, of copying the look and feel of iPhone and iPad devices, of patent infringement, of rainy weather on sunny days, and everything else that added up to $1.051 billion in damages, of which Apple is to be paid (and maybe more). Somewhere out there, Dr. Evil is abandoning his plans of building weapons of planetary destruction and beefing up his patent portfolio instead.

The trial played out like a geek soap opera, and U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh sat center stage amid the drama. Samsung managed to tick off both Apple and Koh when it leaked disallowed evidence to the public, and towards the end, Koh suggested Apple's lawyers were "smoking crack" for trying to inundate the court with a massive witness list.

Apple Samsung Boxing

When it was all said and done, the nine-panel jury needed less than three days to deliberate and rule overwhelmingly in Apple's favor. In several instances, the jury found that Samsung had infringed on Apple's patents, and found that it was willful infringement in five out of seven patents. That's important, because it means the damages award could ultimately be tripled.

On the reverse side, the jury disagreed with Samsung that Apple infringed on any of its patents. About the only positive for Samsung is that the company's legal team was cleared of violating any antitrust laws, but outside of that, there wasn't much room to celebrate.

Samsung, which is the largest seller of smartphones in the U.S., will undoubtedly appeal the verdict, but the company faces a difficult road ahead. This also has huge implications on the Android ecosystem in general. Remember, Steve Jobs thought from the very beginning that Android was a blatant ripoff of iOS, and this verdict lays the foundation for Apple to aggressively pursue other Android players.
  • | Post Points: 395
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:03 PM

Oooh not good for Samsung, hopefully this lawsuit doesn't lay the groundwork for the demise of Android like Paul said.

Also Muhammad Ali as Apple!!! No way should have been Floyd Mayweather, just like Steve Jobs a trash talking nincompoop.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Man this sucks. How about apple they are a bunch of copy cat too. But at lesst its only 1 billion. Its still hefty but not enough to be bunkrupt. Apple just makes my blood boil. Appl 5 will flop

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:24 PM

I am so very, very disappointed. Nothing else to be said.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:25 PM

sure the jury doesn't consist of all iphone users? lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 10:36 PM

Some of the Android only, not custom Samsung UI, models were exempt as well as Samsungs newer models. So hopefully that means they can't go after all Android devices.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:02 AM

Really? Samsung is being accused of violating anti trust laws? I would think apple should be one the one accused of violating anti trust laws. They begin to lose their control of the mobile device market and they accuse there competition of ripping them off. I used a couple iphones and compared to any of the Samsung phones i have used, s captivate, galaxy s2, and galaxy note, the samsung phones are far superior in my opinion.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:18 AM

Disagreeing with Apple? That's a $2000 fine.

I'm not going to lie, this is not how I saw this working out.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:58 AM

I wonder if the Judge pulled out her iPhone after the session?

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Im much happier with the Korean decision, this feel like the jury going "herp derp apple is amnericans, dey wins its like newten"

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
hanmeing replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:11 AM

Samsung is a copycat, bottom feeding company. If Samsung had to rely on original, self generated value, they'd be out of business in a week. Apple is the most valued company in history for good reason. Next up for them, that other odious copy cat company- Google.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 164
Points 1,630
MCaddick replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:34 AM

So you're aware of who apple STOLE the idea of the mouse and icons from, right??

Apple are just as bad if not worse! ALL of their consumer products are built off tech and designs that were already in existence, apple just won the race to the corrupt US patent office.

Seriously, they patented rounded corners. Seen many electronic devices in the past decade that didn't have those? Of course not, but apple owns the patent to those corners and are constantly going after anyone that uses such n obvious design. Remember, patents are not supposed to be issued on designs that are obvious, the USPO is at fault here, apple is just a greedy little whiny *** for making use of such a broken system when they don't get their way.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

Disappointing, most of all for the way this patents are granted. Way to broad. We wouldn't have got any where if other companies had done the same in the past ... it is like microsoft calming a patent for the start button menu and bury everybody .... and anyone can think of a hundred such cases ... except for the judges ...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 9:27 AM

Wasn't hoping for this type of settlement. The consumer is the one who suffers in these cases. Wonder how much both sides have spent and will spend in the future on this litigation.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870
imAcpufan replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:41 AM

Well I guess someone better patent "rectangle with unrounded corners"...they'd clean up the competition since that would pretty much cover every screen and display ever made. In reality, I really don't think design patents based on basic shapes should even be patentable...mac book air I'm looking at you too...

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
BSmith1 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:13 PM

There is only one way to stop this nonesense.. We as consumers have more power than we realise. What we need to do is show we will not support a company that tries to pantent things none specific.. Apple has patents that say something along the lines of Spirit of iphone, or feel.. that is stupid because it kills ever other competitor no matter what they come up with they can claim they copied the FEEL of Spirit of the apple product. We need to boycott this kind of dirty business.

I am personally selling all of my apple products and getting samsung devices. In most cases i find the samsung devices better for the consumer anyway since its not nearly as controlled. I already have an savings account for my next pad/tablet and im going for the galaxy 3 or whatever the newest pad is from samsung.

I already got the galaxy smart phone and its freaking awesome. So good riddens apple, you will not be missed.

Frankly apple is overrated in my opinion. Case in point Bill gates back in the 90s talked about a tablet portable device but he was ahead of his time and the internet and hardware wasnt there for his idea to be realized. But fast forward about 10 years or so and wala apple comes out with what he talked about 10 years ago. So i do not see apple as the all seeing eye. They are as corrupt as they can be, and people give microsoft hell. Apple makes ms look like altar boys.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:14 PM

Not surprising.

The trial was held San Jose, which is literally 10 miles from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino. I defy you to find a jury there that would ever rule against Apple, since the community depends on them.

Everyone knew this was going to be appealed by the losing side - no matter who won. Hopefully the next venue will be more impartial.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:53 PM

Disagreeing with apple is a 2000$ fine, agreeing with them enough to copy them, thats 1.05 billion dollars.

The Apple lawyers were stupid to try and inundate the court with witnesses. They need maybe 6 total and who cares what a random witness has to say about samsung and apple patent rights?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Even in korea the jidge said they were both at fault. They werent biased at all unlike freaking apple in theyre backyard literally

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:09 PM

One juror did have parents who have stock in Apple. Koh allowed the juror to stay after only making sure he didn't directly profit, but of course who's to say what influence knowing the decision would effect his parents would have... along with any thoughts of inheritance.

Samsung probably has some good grounds for appeal though. Since a good deal of evidence wasn't allowed into the case.

Also jurors awarded Apple damages for the Samsung Intercept's infringement, on the company's '915 utility patent, and damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G LTE's infringement, on its '889 design patent, but they did so without actually finding that the devices were infringing on the patents in question.

Koh is going to have a hearing to adjust the damages because of those mistakes, so final total damages may be less than a billion, but it still brings into question on the validity of the jurors decisions.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 6:38 PM

Paying people off helps :)

It just amazes me how Apple can get away with copying and get away with patent infringement. Just goes to show if you have money you can get away with anything.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 7:00 PM

The obviousness of bias is becoming apparent already: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390

Apparently the jury ruled that certain Samsung devices didn't infringe, yet still awarded Apple millions in damages for the exact same devices.

"The foreman told a court representative that the jurors had reached a decision without needing the instructions."

So... does anyone think I was joking when I said there was no way Samsung could get a fair trial in a court 10 miles from Apple headquarters?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 7:08 PM

Also lets just say its in the "best interest" that the $1billion goes the USA rather then Korea :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,820
Points 45,680
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:09 AM

I feel that Apple should be sued by general users for both hampering and making more expensive for the consumer in the end and doing so even though there own founder said on more than one occasion that they stole wantonly and that it was the habit of great "Artists" which they obviously consider themselves to be. They should be encouraged by it and publish commercials thanking Samsung HTC and everyone else there suing for infringement for the compliments right!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 3:08 AM

LOLOL, the Mohammed Ali pic is priceless! This line too "Dr. Evil is abandoning his plans of building weapons of planetary destruction and beefing up his patent portfolio instead."

I agree with rapid1. Apple products are overpriced for what you get, Thats why i will never touch a macbook of any kind...

I do own an iphone, and the only reason I own it is because of jailbreaking. Otherwise I'd pass on apples phone devices..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 10:30 AM

@RiCoFrost that could be a good point if the trial was held somewhere else besides Apples backyard as 3vi1 pointed out. Never thought about it from that angle, although I doubt that was the reasoning behind the juries decision I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people pulling the strings behind all this had that thought in the back of their head.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 55
NNvn replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:43 PM

Apple is killing innovation.. Patents and Lawsuits are killing innovation

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:45 PM

It was never going to be fair. I just dont get how Apple can get away with all of it.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/samsung-digital-picture-frame-stores-pics-movies-music/

How much does that look like an Ipad oh wait that came out before ipad.... hmmmmm

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125
NKR replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:57 PM

Maybe the Judge is an Apple fanboy

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60
NNK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:08 PM

Some law has to change the way Patents are challenged and filed.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

Consumer is the one who is suffering the most... If this continues, Android phones will be costlier for having to pay royalties to Apple.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JPrakash replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:17 PM

I would love to see an Apple fanboy's reaction to this.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70
CKr replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:56 PM

This is not fair

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 115
PKumar replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:11 PM

Pathetic.. filing suits and counter-suits... !

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130
DDK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:31 PM

Spend the money you spend for lawyers on R&D

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 95
RRajan replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:52 PM

True.. companies file counter-suits to get back the money the lost in the last suit and then this goes on ... like a Cycle... ruining innovation and the industry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 6:32 PM

>> I would love to see an Apple fanboy's reaction to this.

YAY FOR THE GOOD GUYS!

Did you know that *nothing*, not even tables, had rounded corners before Steve Jobs thought it up and then told his designers to design it... go back in time... and show it to cave men?

Did you know that *nothing*, had icons or menus before Steve Jobs thought of the idea and then went back in time to show the guys at Xerox PARC, who then showed it to a younger version of himself?

Did you know that *no one* had any idea of making the phone smaller than a backpack before Steve Jobs? Then, he challenged his designers to *make it the size of a shoe and go back in time and show it to Motorola".

Did you know that... oh god this is too much work. I don't want Apple to die... but I'd sure love for them to have a stroke about now.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315
akcent14 replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:08 AM

I also agree with you hanmeing.

Page 1 of 1 (38 items) | RSS