Logitech Unveils New Washable Keyboard K310

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,159
Points 1,185,255
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:16 PM

If you've ever spilled your drink on your keyboard, you know what a pain it can be to try to clean things up and make sure the keyboard doesn't get sticky (that is, assuming the keyboard survives the spill). Logitech's newest keyboard is ready for mishaps such as this. The new Washable Keyboard K310 is designed to withstand everything from a light dusting to a rinse in the kitchen sink. With the exception of the USB cable, the keyboard can be submerged in up to 11 inches of water. The keyboard has drainage holes in the back to help it dry. The Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 will cost $39.99.

Logitech Unveils Washable, Ultra-Durable Keyboard

Spills and Dust Are No Match for New Logitech Washable Keyboard K310

NEWARK, Calif. — Aug. 22, 2012 — Today Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) unveiled the latest in its line of PC keyboards, the Logitech® Washable Keyboard K310. From a light dusting to a rinse in the kitchen sink, this keyboard is easy to clean and easy to dry. It’s also designed for a comfortable typing experience with a familiar layout and sleek, thin profile.

The Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 can be hand washed time and time again, and can be submerged (with the exception of  the USB cable) in up to 11 inches of water. Convenient drainage holes at the back of the keyboard allow for easy drying while key characters are laser printed and UV coated to help ensure the letters don’t fade in the wash. Plus, the keys can last up to five million keystrokes, meaning this keyboard can take a washing, as well as a pounding.

“We’ve all experienced that moment of distraction – followed by panic, when a cup of coffee or a soda spills all over your keyboard,” says Sophie Le Guen, senior director of mice and keyboards at Logitech. “Because life and its messes will happen, regardless of how careful you are, Logitech designed the Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 to look and function like new, even over time.”

Durable, yet still comfortable, this full-size keyboard’s contemporary design complements both your computer and your work space. It comes complete with F-keys and a number pad, and is compatible with Windows® XP, Windows Vista® and Windows® 7. With twelve hot keys for instant access to Internet, e-mail, play, volume and more, you can readily open your most-used applications with a single keystroke. To make life even easier, this keyboard requires no software for setup, simply pull the device straight out of the box, plug it in and type away.

Pricing and Availability

The Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 is expected to be available in the U.S. beginning in August and Europe beginning in October 2012, for a suggested retail price of $39.99. For more information please visit www.logitech.com or our blog.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:39 PM

Ok, I get the fact that people are clumsy and spill things on their keyboard, but isn't this just a little bit of over kill?:D

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:14 PM

LOL it's in a way a cool idea, I think drying the keyboard itself would be a major pain. I don't often spill anything on my kb but I do collect alot of dust on it. Knowing you could just dunk your keyboard in water and the dust would go away would be awesome!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:05 PM

I don't eat or drink near my PC or my keyboard so I just canned air to dust it out. I know a lot of people who could really use this type of keyboard.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:49 PM

My problem isn't food or drink getting on my keyboard it's animal hair from my pets. I tend to pop off all my keys on my keyboard and begin cleaning it occasionally, but that may only be me who likes to do that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:52 PM

Same here, I wouldn't need it but I do know people who would... Pets, kids, and other of life's unexpected surprises are all good reasons to get this keyboard :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:30 PM

Amen to this. One of my little ones spilled a can of soda (it was mine) all over my keyboard. It was membrane, it got sticky, and it became nigh-on impossible to use as keypresses took substantial effort.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

I wont ever put any kind of liquid on my future comp table so that my future gaming keyboard wont have to deal with that kind of unfortunate event.

Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 815
lifeasjosh replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:42 PM

The best part is the sham-wow they used to clean it with

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 12:20 AM

Id be far more impressed with a washable laptop, but still pretty freaking cool. Ive never actually spilled anything on my keyboard or electronics but i guess for the clumsy power user this might be worth it.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 115
PKumar replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:11 PM

Very impressed !

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130
DDK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:36 PM

Hope they implement this for all keyboards in the future

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:09 AM

I like that it is very reasonably priced and that for some households it would be a sanity saver since 'stuff' happens

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 2:05 PM

In my experience, they're all washable.

If you unplug one you've spilled a drink on before it fries, you can wash it.

I've simply put several through the dishwasher. Rubber-band a sandwich bag over the connectors, and do not use heated drying or any detergents.

The hardest part is forcing yourself to let it dry completely before reconnecting it (or you will ruin it). I usually lean them against a wall in my office and rotate them once or twice a day for a week (I have a spare keyboard to use in the meantime). They're good as new after that.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:29 AM

3vi1:

In my experience, they're all washable.

If you unplug one you've spilled a drink on before it fries, you can wash it.

I've simply put several through the dishwasher. Rubber-band a sandwich bag over the connectors, and do not use heated drying or any detergents.

The hardest part is forcing yourself to let it dry completely before reconnecting it (or you will ruin it). I usually lean them against a wall in my office and rotate them once or twice a day for a week (I have a spare keyboard to use in the meantime). They're good as new after that.

Agreed I've been washing keyboards since the days of the 15+ pound IBM lefty model. You can run most of the older ones through a dishwasher and the new ones as long as the water isn't too hot. As stated by 3vi1You just need to make sure they are properly dried before connecting them to anything. For those less adventurous some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip is handy to get between the keys, and cyber clean works wonders.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS