Dell's Latitude E6530 Laptop Breaks a Sweat at HotHardware

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:56 AM
There was a time, not too terribly long ago, when a machine was immediately glossed over by average consumers as soon as the "business" label was placed on it. If you've worked in the corporate world within the past 10 to 15 years, you know exactly what we mean. Those dreaded "work laptops" were never ones to be proud of, and while they somehow managed to function, they were typically slow, overloaded with bloatware and unbecoming in terms of design.

Dell's latest Latitude range is proof that enterprise laptops are no longer being overlooked when it comes to power, performance and even design. While there are a variety of Latitude E Series options to choose from, our test unit is the 15.6" E6530. Even within this one model, there are a multitude of configuration options to choose from..

A Core i7 paired up with 6GB of RAM and an SSD looks great on paper. We'll be taking this workhorse through its paces in the pages ahead -- join us.
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Points 3,180
Jaybk26 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:57 PM

It's good to see business models are finally improving. I adopted a business laptop long ago and I had to completely wipe it to make it function well.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 400
LKnudson replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:58 PM

It's not to bad when you can wipe them.Getting them as an actually business laptop and having to keep the programs on it is far worse.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 8:29 PM

I have used the Dell lines before, especially the latitude model. The newer ones, though not inherently fast do work well if a little bit slow. The laptops are durable and reliable as long as you don't mess with the system settings or registry too much.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

On paper looks good. And for business. The only laptop i bought was for my mom for mothers day. And that was way back then. This is a good upgrade and with ssd programs will be blazing fast

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
sirgood replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:42 AM

The difference in performance that you may be seeing as opposed to the performance they are reporting may be in the choice of hard drive. Their test machine was using a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD) as opposed to the old platter Hard Drives. The boost in performance from going to Solid State is incredible. I used to do Engineering design work on a machine with a platter drive, and it took several minutes to start up. I would turn it on first then walk to the break room to store my lunch, and the machine would still be starting up. With SSD I couldn't even get away from the desk and it was ready to log in. This was the same machine, only change was going to Solid State.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
sirgood replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:59 AM

Boy I agree. I think all brands of computers come with too much pre-installed JUNK! My trick is to burn all of the device drivers to a CD, wipe the machine and install a full non-OEM license of the OS. Then as I find hardware that does not work I install then manually from the Device Manager having the system scan the CD for the device drivers. The only machine I could not do this with was an e-Machine, and I immediatly returned it. I wish vendors would give us the option of buying a "clean" machine.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:50 PM

This sounds like a great biz laptop. I like the higher res matte screen, and back lit spill resistant keyboard. Nice features to have indeed.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:57 PM

Love the USB 3.0 ports, although they may be useless for a business laptop. And is it just me that loves Intels WIDI tech, that would be perfect for a business or media laptop. Its a huge option in my opinion and a must for me if I look for a laptop, anybody else??

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 10:18 PM

Wait with the Ivy bridge processor and the Intel Centrino wireless card this thing should support WIDI, am I missing something here??

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60
NNK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:11 PM

Looks good...but I really don't understand why business laptops need to be high end

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
KPhoenix replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:21 PM

Looks professional

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JPrakash replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:13 PM

Are there any Business grade Ultrabooks ?

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 115
PKumar replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:03 PM

Core i7 for a business laptop?

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130
DDK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:28 PM

Too high end for a Business laptop

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rom1 replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:56 AM

And why not?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

So it's tough and a heck of a lot less money than the Toshiba Toughbooks?

Nothing wrong with that,........

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
sbarber replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 10:59 AM

"Looks good...but I really don't understand why business laptops need to be high end"

Well, because it depends on what your business is. We're getting some of these for our company because we're do software development for a living, are often on the road, and some of our products are heavy resource consumers (usually run on large servers by our customers).

So, these machines are not for every business user for sure. But definitely for some it makes sense.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Ashok replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 4:29 PM

It is one of the worst laptop I ever seen. I had many problems with this laptop. I am not able to create folders,files and install any softwares.

The processor is making lot of noise and when we place the SD card , it is not coming outside..

I contacted customer care service many times. They replaced laptop one time and it didn't resolve the issue, They are asking me to send the laptop one more time.

My Dell Order No : 405580958

Here are cases I opened with Dell customer care and there is no resolution from 2 months.

Service Request #:882151832.

It is waste of my time and money.

Regards

jagarla

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS