Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Ultrabook Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,080
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:38 AM
Lenovo ThinkPad CarbonUltrabooks continue to be the hot trend in the Windows notebook arena. With the recent introduction of Intel's new, low power 3rd generation Ivy Bridge Core series processors, designs are becoming thinner with every iteration, while paradoxically it seems, performance continues to scale higher.  We've seen Ultrabook machines from virtually all the majors here at HotHardware and many of them are targeted at consumers on the go where thin is in, and not so much the business user, where practical usability, durability and performance are critical.  

Lenovo however, is stepping outside the box with their latest addition to their ThinkPad lineup for road warriors and cubical commandos alike. The venerable Lenovo ThinkPad, with its little red TrackPoint nub has gone the way of the Ultrabook and we like it very much...
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Think pad, tablet, pads... just usr your smart phone and just save up for a gaming rig

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:41 PM

Lol, sorry but I'm not going to try working with spread sheets on my phone. Need a much bigger screen for that. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 6:03 PM

I can't be the only one that hates Lenovo.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:50 AM

Thanks for this review Dave ! And in particular for noting that an ethernet connexion via the USB-dongle (2.0 ? 3.0 ?) while «not quite as robust» as a direct physical layer standard Ethernet connexion, is «significantly faster» than a standard 802.11n WiFi connexion. It would have been nice with some figures, however, to help those of us who lack sufficient imagination interpret terms like «robust» and «significantly faster»....

In any event, this Lenovo certainly does look like an excellent «business» (i e, paid for with pre-tax income) machine for those who need something both ultraportable and on which serious work can be done. Kudos to the designers - and not least to those working in the factories where the machines are assembled !...

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:34 PM

As i commented on the article mentioning this previously, the throwback design cues like the mouse "nub" between the g/h/v/b keys need to be done away with, in my opinon. There can't be enough people still utilizing that feature when we have the trackpad and of course portable mice to replace it. The red cues tarnish the whole appearance imo.

Everything else looks stellar, though, and the performance speaks for itself.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
LGentry replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:50 AM

@Erakith - Actually, the "nub" is one of my main reason that I've had three different Thinkpads. I absolutely despise that touchpad/trackpad whatever you want to call it on most laptops. It always messes up my typing and moves my mouse and causes me to type into the middle of whatever paragraph I've been working on. Overall, I'd put this computer firmly in the "Awesome" category, knowing full well that I'll probably never own one because I'm too cheap to by a new computer if I can get a model two years old for a quarter of the cost. I don't need bleeding edge, but I require the nub :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:13 AM

Actually, you might be. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:18 AM

Heya Henri, Thanks for the feedback. I agree and I thought about pulling numbers together for that but ran out of time getting this review done. Unfortunately, these days it's like a race against everyone and they're brother to get a timely review up. I may go back and look at it specifically though and when I do, I'll comment here with the numbers or update the article.

Editor In Chief

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 10:09 AM

And thanks for your reply, Dave ! The numbers are always, in my opinion, good to have, but I understand the time constraints under which you reviewers operate. Still, quality - of which, I submit, numeracy constitutes a not insignificant part - is perhaps as least as important as being first out. That being said, I think you reviewers at HH generally do an excellent job....

I neglected to take this up in my earlier posting, but LGentry's thoughtful posting in which he notes that he's «too cheap to by a new computer if [he] can get a model two years old for a quarter of the cost» (welcome to the club !) gave me a push forward. I'm rather dissatisfied with the direction Lenovo - and it would seem, other so-called «Ultrabook» makers are going - personally, I blame Apple for the bad example and am surprised they've not attemtpted to register a patent. I'm referring here to the fact tha tboth RAM and battery have been installed in the computer in such a manner as to render replacement, if not impossible, at least quite difficult for the ordinary user - and I presume the same is true for the storage module as well. As someone who has helped a lot of retired people upgrade their older computers - both desktops and laptops - over the years, I abhor this trend, which in this case would seem to render this beautiful machine useless after a couple of years or so when the battery has died. OK, the type of businesses that purchases this kind of kit is unlikely to be particularly interested in replacing old parts if, as we piously hope, engineers and manufacturers continue to provide us with the performance gains we've hitherto seen in every successive computer generation, but there should still be a market in which they - or the individual users whose personal property these devices will have probably become in the meantime - can sell them for upgrade at , as noted «a quarter of the cost» to people like LGentry or myself. This sort of planned obsolescence makes me unhappy....  Sad

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 90
mernerion replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 1:48 PM

I would much rather dell XD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:02 PM

Lenovo is a fantastic company that has always been a consistent competitor in computing power. they have kept a mantra of consistency and performance that has kept them solvent and given them a competitive edge. Their dedication to meet the needs of everyday users and bringing technology to students and teachers borders on revolutionary.

The Lenovo idea pad tablet series struggled but their computers have always been high quality and top of the line.

Jaybk26 your the only one that hates good companies.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 90
mernerion replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:04 PM

yes, a good company indeed however, im not sure i would need a computer that went completely flat...

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 400
LKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:06 PM

I have to agree with Jaybk I have never liked any of lenovas devices just because they don't perform as well as say a dell or and Hp.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:10 PM

I have had nothing but horrible experiences with Lenovo and the last Lenovo tablet I used was abysmal.  I'm not that big of a fan of Android's OS and the hardware was just pathetic.  But clearly I'm on the losing side of a battle:D

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 400
LKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:20 PM

Tablets and computers are computers are completely different playing fields so you're anger might be misdirected, However "If you ever find yourself agreeing with the majority, Stop and reflect" Mark Twain :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 4:22 PM

Hey to each his/her own, that's for sure. I was just being a wise-a$$ ;-)

Editor In Chief

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 9:26 PM

Lol, that's fair LKnudson, but I've had bad experiences with both:D I wasn't agreeing, I was just quieting down. "Agree with thine adversary whilst thou art in the way with them.":p @Dave, I totally understand:D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 2:35 AM

Actually, fans of the Thinkpads usually demand the track point (nub). It's a classic feature of the Thinkpad design and the reason is it's convenient for typists.

Basically, if you're doing a lot of typing then it's more convenient to use the track point to move the cursor than to take your hands away from the keyboard and use either the touch pad or mouse. Since you don't have to move your hands from the keyboard to use the track point and you usually don't need more than basic mouse control while typing.

While they still provide you a multi-touch touch pad for when you don't need to type a lot.

It's not for everyone but not every feature of any device necessarily has to appeal to everyone but something that helps set a product apart from others also gets a little leeway on how useful it needs to be to stay included.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
cjc1103 replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 7:03 AM

10/100 Ethernet? Really? Lenovo, wake up and smell the coffee. This is a "premium" machine, I would expect GbE in this price range. Actually I would expect GbE in all computers these days, silicon is cheap.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
1cetrap replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 10:14 AM

DERPA DERP lets benchmark a business machine for gaming! LMFAO Far Cry 2 on a ThinkPad?!?!? Who did this review??

I work at IBM...Lenovo makes the highest quality laptops available, hands down. Go buy an overpriced Dell if you want to game, these machines mean BUSINESS.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:52 PM

Ethernet with a USB adapter, probably rated for USB 2.0, tends to be limited...

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JPrakash replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:14 PM

So you are saying business men and employees shouldn't game? Any law like that? What if its a take-home laptop?

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315
akcent14 replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:52 AM

I have seen the same laptop. but that was Ace ultra book but lenovo think pad is really good and looking awesome.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
GLugo replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 6:53 AM

This is a great laptop except it was just released so if you're buying it now, it makes you an "early adopter" and pioneer to help Lenovo discover issues.

The Lenovo forums and web is abuzz of owners complaining about unexpected power off's, overheating, LCD flicker and everything else except for solid build that you'd expect from a ThinkPad.

The angry owners are receiving unofficial help from a wide base of loyal / longtime, repeat ThinkPad owners who are enjoying troubleshooting this first release just as much as they enjoyed discovering the last first release but legendary ThinkPad quality is often unofficially tested by the loyal user community.

It may be worthwhile waiting for the next revision in a few months before rushing out to buy the current X1's since the bugs are still being worked out.

P.S., I suggest check for low price of this laptop at: laptopdeals2k12.blogspot.com/p/lenovo-thinkpad-x1.html

Hope this review is helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS