Witness for Samsung Says Apple Saw His Tablet Protoypes in the ‘90s

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,065
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 15 2012 4:16 PM
The patent case between Apple and Samsung--you know, the one where if Apple wins, the company assumes total dominance of the mobile device market and Samsung dries up and blows away--is a bare-knuckle legal slugfest, and it recently took an interesting turn.

Samsung brought forth videotaped testimony from one Roger Fidler (Program Director for Digital Publishing at the University of Missouri’s Reynolds Journalism Institute), who asserted that he’s been working on tablet designs since 1981, and according to Bloomberg, that in the mid-1990s, “Apple personnel were exposed to my tablet ideas and prototypes”.

That’s a good hard groin kick to Apple’s claim that its designs for the iPad and iPhone were completely original, and it certainly seems to help cast reasonable doubt (from a non-lawyer, outsider perspective anyway) that Samsung’s designs are rip-offs.

Roger Fidler (Image credit: rjionline.org)

Indeed, Fidler’s designs and vision for tablets on which consumers would read news included now-familiar features such as a flat, no-stylus touchscreen and rounded corners. With Fidler’s testimony, Samsung is apparently trying to say that A) it could be argued that Apple actually stole Fidler’s designs, which most certainly would nullify the former’s case against Samsung and B) regardless, it shows that design ideas for something like a tablet are more universal than Apple would like us to believe.

It’s also worth noting that Apple blocked Fidler from testifying in person and that Samsung managed to get the video testimony shown because it was central to their case.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 5:46 PM

Wow, seriously Apple? If they actually stole his prototypical designs you think they'd tread as softly as they could, not sue the company they may have taken the idea from.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:39 PM

I am not surprised to read this, I really hope they allow this and Samsung gets a little payback. This on going thing between them has not only gotten really old, but also incredibly stupid. Sorry Apple, but believe and state what you will about being ripped off. The difference is, samsung has continued to innovate and improve on their products.(GS2 GS3) While the ifail hasn't done much since the Siri push (and we all have our own thoughts on how well that actually works). Even the upcoming ifail 5 isnt much of change, and even their followers are starting to notice. This thing with Apple and Samsung will hopefully be over soon- for everyones sake.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 481
Points 3,825
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 7:18 PM

I really dont understand how Apple keep on claiming they invent everything.... That's why people are really starting to hate them... lie about everything and try and sue everyone even tho they stole the ideas in the first place.

Some ones comment on the forums :) hahah love it :)

Tomorrow's news? The judge rules that this evidence is not admissible since it does not support Apple's case.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:12 PM

The fact they blocked Fidler from speaking in-front of the court in person shows their true colours to those who didn't already see through their shroud of BS.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

It is funny that Jobs was once this person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU and is now this person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lr8U04gPKM (also dead)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Man a really dont like apple. If you give me one of their products i would sell it and buy pc parts. The are the ones that copies and rebranding them such as facetime which nokia did first. And why wouod they block him if its not true? Got something to hide ? Logically .... hell yes

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 1:50 PM

Fidler, Schmidler ! Apple™ created the universe and owns the relevant patents. This I know beyond any shadow of a doubt, as I read it in Genesis© and even earlier, in the Epic of Gilgamesh©....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 2:28 PM

This is another turn in an event I'd rather not have happening.

Competition isn't a threat to you as a company, it's a good thing that drives you to innovate. Just because there are similarities doesn't mean there is design theft.

tired of this LETS SUE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING crap, it's ridiculous. The fault lies with the patent system, of course. Being able to patent everything down to the most minute detail means people creating similar products will forever have the fear of lawsuits hanging over them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 3:56 PM

...pending.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS