Is Apple Losing Its "Cool"? Survey Says Yes

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,485
Points 1,196,280
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:02 PM
There was a time not too long ago when the perception amongst many young computer users that only old people, stiffs, rubes, and nerds owned non-Apple products; the iPod trumped the Zune, MacBooks became something of a cool-kid status symbol, and the iPhone was--well, no other phone would do.

At some point along the way that’s changed, at least according to a survey from YouGov. Its BrandIndex survey indicates that Apple’s popular perception among the 18-34 demographic has dipped somewhat--actually, it’s been sliding fairly steadily downward--since 2008. Right around September 2011, however, positivity towards the Cupertino company rose among users aged 35 years+, for the first time at a rate above that of the younger group.

Thus, is the survey is to be believed, older people worldwide like Apple products more than younger people.

Source: YouGov

The BrandIndex survey, it should be said, isn’t especially comprehensive or academic; the site asked the following question to adults and then filtered the results by age: “If you've heard anything about the brand [meaning Apple] in the last two weeks, through advertising, news or word of mouth, was it positive or negative?”

Regardless, the survey raises interesting questions. Perhaps college kids and younger adults are tech-savvy enough to shop around for devices and computers that fit their specific needs best; maybe the cost of Apple products is causing younger adults--who are often struggling to find jobs and establish careers in a dismal job market and economy--to go for computer gear that costs less; or it could simply be that competing products have caught up to Apple in terms of quality and cool (perceived or otherwise).
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:26 PM

Yes.

They lost their cool as soon as they started suing people for doing what they did.

Watch this. Trust me, it's relevant, less than 10 minutes long, and educational (but still interesting!): http://www.ted.com/talks/kirby_ferguson_embrace_the_remix.html

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:41 PM

Hey.... wait a second....OMG, I'M THE RED LINE. I'MMMM THE REDDDDD LINEEEEEEE!!!!!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 150
EGuerrero replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:50 PM

yes, LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:16 PM

Lol I'm the gray line and like I posted in another thread the only apple product I ever thought was cool and owned was the first gen ipod touch.

Great link btw 3vi1, I love Ted talks and that was definitely one of the better ones.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:20 PM

Thank you karanm! I knew the people here could appreciate that one.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:59 PM

Ya Steve dissed apple there lol. either that or he admitted apple isn't great :P. Nice video 3vi1

I don't see how patents can help the growth of technology when it is used to keep ones work to them self and no one can advance on it, at least not without having to pay a large sum to that someone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:15 PM

I owned an iPod touch 1st gen also, just like karanm. I now hold the view of "I will not buy an Apple product."

However, you can't deny that Apple have had a tremendously beneficial impact on the non-Apple industry too.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:43 PM

I don't think it's so much about them doing anything particularly worse, rather it's loosing its "hipster" appeal now that more people have it. Cool kids don't like the mainstream lol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
bragzter replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:47 PM

Apple's UI is boring and hasn't changed since 2007. Also people want control over their device, to do what they want with it. You can't tweak an iPhone. You can jail break it, but customization is still limited. Older people just want a device that works, and the iPhone does just that.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Apple maybe me have its inovation but nokia started video call sony ericson the tocuscreen. They should be sued instead not really an apple fan and they were never cool in my opinion but they werent bad either. PC FOREVER. Choose me for the corsair contest. Love corsair love hothardware

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

You know why they are losing their cool? It ha come to the point where parents and grandparent need to be cool nd grab an iphone as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:51 PM

Hahaha that gave me a good laugh. It is true in most cases though.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:05 PM

I have been saying this for 3 years with direct references and in fact have outlined it at least 4 times on various article posts in the past 3 weeks.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 2:53 AM

As a red-liner, I can say that I've never found Apple «cool», but on the other hand, I've never considered «cool» a characteristic inherent in technical products, but rather an advertising ploy to which I felt an instinctive adversion. Everything I've since learned about Apple - the conceit and self-righteousness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU), the attempts to control customers and prevent them from modifying their machines, and not least, the registration of absurd «patents» on material in the common domain and the law suits to «protect» these patents - has confirmed these first impressions. My view of Apple is that it has exerted a hugely negative influence on the industry, mainly by its single-minded emphasis on «competition by lawyer», even if others, notably Microsoft, Oracle, etc, have also made great use of it....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 10:55 AM

Thanks for the link! I'm watching the Everything is a Remix series now and having a good laugh. It's very interesting, educational and fun to watch :)

As for Apple losing it's cool, I think consumers are definitely tired of the lawsuits but mostly people are getting smarter about how they spend their HARD earned money. They are starting to realise and spread the word that you can definitely get more for your money. The specs of Apple products just DON'T match their price points.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RSyahputra replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:23 PM

since i'm using apple product since ipod first generation, it seems i didn't find apple as a cool products. for me apple just like "easy to use product" so that doesn't fit the definitions of cool in my opinion.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 1:48 PM

That's weird, growing up I always said that Apple products were for old people.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
skatanic replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 4:46 PM

I haven't had an apple product since my 120gb Ipod harddrive crashed after only 1 year of having it. Useless company that forces you to buy their warranty. I've never had any issues with computers that required an extended warranty. A friend of mine has had nearly $1500 of repairs on his macbook pro.

A flawed computer will never gain a "cool" status from me.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
EPertez replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 6:57 AM

It is very easy: No new design for 7 years. MacBooks are equal one to the other for too long. The cool factor dissapear when everybody has exactly the same computer and color. They used to innovate in dessign. They don't anymore.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS