New Crysis 3 Trailer Unbelievably Gorgeous Thanks To CryEngine 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,187
Points 1,186,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:15 PM
When Epic Games demoed the Unreal 4 engine earlier next year, Crytek barely batted an eyelash. The company's new trailer for the upcoming Crysis 3 is evidence of why. The game environments are stunning, and the company swears the footage its showing is drawn from real-world gameplay. The game engine is flexible; it looks as though the PC version will stand out quite a bit from the Xbox and PS3 flavors.

When Crytek released the original Crysis, it inadvertently shot itself in the foot. So much attention had been focused on the game's lavish visuals and detail levels (and the horsepower required to run the game at the highest image quality) that sales were slow initially as players without top-end rigs were concerned about whether or not they could handle the game. This trailer makes a point of discussing how CryEngine 3 is designed for both current consoles and next-gen devices / PCs, with several demos of how various technologies look when enabled and disabled.

Tessellated vegetation and enhanced light mapping and global illumination are all on the way as well.

The new per-pixel displacement mapping -- first, turned off

Per-pixel displacement mapping -- enabled

Personally, I watched the entire video wondering if the game would actually be worth playing. I've never had much luck getting into Crysis, despite being fond of the FPS genre in general. Then, I saw something so amazing -- so stunning -- that it wiped away all doubts.

You saw it here first, folks. Tessellated toads. Really good tessellated toads.

All hail our Crytek overlords.
  • | Post Points: 275
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:43 PM

I know at least one computer that will be able to play this, *cough HotHardware and Corsair Back To School Gaming System cough*.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:06 PM

lol for a second there i thought it said it said Crysis 3 was free to play, then i read it again :( lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:58 PM

Too many of these jokes have been made since HH existed :P

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

tessellated toads but the butterflies' animation looks pathetic. is this 2012 or 2002?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

am i the only one not impressed by this?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

the headline would be true in 2002. but this is 2012. it's not that unbelievably gorgeous. in fact, it looks ugly. where has game development gone?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

just a bit peeved that i had to sit through that "ugly" technical demo/trailer.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

the pigeon in the beginning looked too robotic, as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:18 PM

Hey Yesterday,

Pro Tip: Repeatedly spamming comments will not, in fact, change the nature of the trailer or my opinion of it.

There's some really fantastic work done here. Is it pixel-perfect reality? Of course not. But if I can admit that the game is gorgeous, given that I don't even *like* the Crysis series, I think you're being a bit harsh. ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

hey joel,

pro tip: it's not a bit harsh, if it's true. the butterfly and pigeon animations does look outdated.

the rest of the technology looks the same to me from five years ago.

whatever. not a fan of the series either and not too keen to defend my opinion any further, either.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

also,

i apologize for the multiple posts. i do need to consolidate my thoughts a bit better. but, to automatically call my multiple posts as spam is unfair if you take it into context. i was simply adding posts as i thought of them and not intended as spam. thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:11 PM

I'll probably buy it when it comes out. I like shooters and this looks like it will be fun. I doesn't have to be perfect visually. Heck, I still like my old UT3 game.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,593
Points 54,950
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:59 PM

No one is spamming anyone here as far as I can tell. In fact, I like the banter very much! :) Beauty is in the eye as they say I guess. ;)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:10 AM

Look at the screenshot of the tree roots above -- the big versions. Keep in mind that since I snapped these from a video, you're getting a bit of motion blur.

The difference between the two should jump out at you. The first image is what Crysis was doing in 2007, and it's what's supported for PS3 / Xbox 360. The second image is what you can do today with a modern DX11 GPU.

As for the animations, keep in mind that animations are one area where placeholders are likely to be used. An animation file is something you can quickly draw up and drop in a game to get the idea across without necessarily having finalized the finished product. This was a tech demo of CryEngine 3 more than an exact gameplay demo. The idea is to give people an idea and say: "It's going to look at least this good."

Final thought: We have reached the point where the majority of advances in DirectX technology are related to efficiency and subtle improvements. Shadows being more diffuse. Fog interacting with light in more realistic ways. It's easy to dismiss those advances because they don't offer the same radical leaps forward that we saw from DX7 to DX8, or even DX8 to DX9. DX11 did introduce some new capabilities and features, but it was just as much about enabling better threading and efficient computing as it was about extending what the GPU could do.

If you were to take Crysis as it shipped in 2007 and compare it half-screen against a version of the game built to take full advantage of DX11 and capable of pushing modern hardware, you would see differences. Many of them would be subtle. Collectively, they add up.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 2:51 AM

I watched it and was blown away, personally. 

I will play this game if only to stare at it. Whether or not its a good game.. only time will tell, but it definitely looks fantastic.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:42 AM

I'm throwing my money at the screen but they aren't taking it.

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 2:36 PM

That's some incredible footage. I don't even have a computer that could max out the setting and I'm still thinking of investing in this.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,102
Points 11,170
CDeeter replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 8:30 AM

To hell with the ninja turtles, I want to play as a Tessellated Toad!

We sure have come a long way from Frogger, huh?

Between this and the New Dawn demo, things are looking real good for us on the PC side of gaming.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:20 AM

I'm not an artist but these look amazing to me. Looking forward to seeing the finished product but some of those shots are impressive.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

Welp, my HD 4850 is weeping.

Thanks a lot Crytek.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 7:12 PM

kylefreestyle:
Welp, my HD 4850 is weeping.  Thanks a lot Crytek.

HD4850 was a great card for DX10 games. I have one (Sapphire 1GB) in a Linux PC here.

And yes, thanks Crytek!

Can't wait,.......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 255

LOL i did !

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 255

i wouldn't say it's that bad. Seriously not. i do believe the pigeon at the begining is a bit robotic (it's kinda weird when it starts flying) but otherwise i thinks it's preeeeetty good. i love the alligator and tessellated toad haha

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:37 AM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315
akcent14 replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 12:35 AM

this is 2012 and its looking pretty cool.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315
akcent14 replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:47 AM

Really awesome and unbelievable triler and i like it very much. the graphics is looking pretty cool.

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS