Toshiba Tops Off Storage Portfolio with New 3.5-inch Hard Drive Models

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:09 PM
Solid state drives (SSDs) are the sexy storage options these days, but those trusty (and affordable) mechanical hard disk drives (HDDs) are still relevant and garnering attention from hardware companies. Enter Toshiba, which today announced the broadening of its HDD portfolio with new models featuring 2TB and 3TB capacities.

Toshiba's new DT01ACA Desktop series of 3.5-inch SATA drives spin at 7200 RPM and are targeted at all-in-one (AIO) gaming PCs, home servers, external applications, and consumer electronic (CE) products such as set-top boxes and digital video recorders, Toshiba says. In other words, there's something for everyone.

Toshiba Hard Drive

Sounds all well and good, but with SSD prices coming down and Ultrabooks taking over, is the market potential still there for traditional hard drives?

"Over two hundred million computer systems and consumer electronics devices will ship in 2012 equipped with a 3.5-inch desktop-class HDD," said John Rydning, research vice president for hard disk drives at IDC, according to Toshiba. "With a broader 3.5-inch desktop HDD product lineup, Toshiba will be poised to address a larger piece of the overall storage device market."

Toshiba's new 2TB and 3TB drives will begin shipping this month. MSRPs have not yet been announced.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

I have yet to garnered enough money to buy many SSDs for storage so I agree that there still is a place for HDDs in the foreseeable future. I'm a cheap consumer.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 255
KWalsh replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:06 AM

yes the need for HDDs will still be there for a while yet, we may not see them as much in desktops and laptops, but server solutions and for large storage options will still be HDD over the SSD. most often HDD will be found in cloud storage with large arrays set up, so yes the HDD will still be need for a few more years although the SSD will continue to be the current rage on the streets.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:32 PM

For as long as SSD remains expensive on the $:GB ratio, mechanical drives will remain relevant. Large capacity SSD's are still pushing $500 for 480GB (especially the good quality ones), compared to $100 for 1TB in mechanical storage. 

I love the performance and other features SSDs bring to the table; I couldn't live without mine. But, in reality, I'm still dependent on mechanical drives as actual data storage. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS