Electronic Arts Sues Zynga for Allegedly Ripping Off 'Sims Social' Game

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,675
Points 1,155,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:28 AM
Game developer Zynga has made a fortune in part by altering existing game concepts into their own creations, such as Words With Friends (an obvious take on Scrabble, with a social twist and other elements that are Zynga's own). As far as Electronic Arts is concerned, however, Zynga went too far with The Ville, which EA claims infringes its Facebook game The Sims Social.

"Zynga's design choices, animations, visual arrangements, and character motions and actions have been directly lifted from The Sims Social," said Lucy Bradshaw, general manager of EA's Maxis label.

Zynga The Ville

From Zynga's legal vantage point, EA is off its rocker on this one. Zynga claims The Ville is just another game in its Ville franchise, and that the lawsuit "clearly demonstrates [EA's] lack of understanding of basic copyright principles." Zynga also called the timing suspect, throwing it out there that EA's recently launched "SimCity Social bears an uncanny resemblance to Zynga's CityVille."

Zynga is used to defending against copyright claims. Earlier this year, the developers at NimbleBit accused Zynga of ripping off its Tiny Tower game with Dream Heights.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750

I wish Zynga went bankrupt. They've had a known history of ripping ideas off other developers leaving us with lack-luster, mediocre games which are no better or worse than the original they ripped off of. Not to mention that they hurt the developers that actually try to make quality, original titles. Pathetic.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 11:41 PM

I seriously dislike Zynga because of their business practices, I don't have any Zynga games and make it a point not to use anything associated with this leach of a company.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:22 AM

Does it really matter that much? Zynga is a sub par video game developer, them producing a game would be like Shasta imitating coke. it happens and few people buy it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:08 PM

Shasta lol, haven't heard of them in years!

Hopefully the same thing will be said about Zynga.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:36 PM

I agree with InsideSin here. Of course Facebook is there main if not only real platform so there limited to a degree by that. The User pool from Facebook is humongous. Either way I general tend to like things by other developers when I do play Facebook games.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:05 AM

"Shasta imitating coke" This is not the same thing at all, Zinga is the largest developer on Facebook, which is then the largest social portal on the web period right now. So in the end Zinga probably had more growth than then PC gaming market did in the last 6 months because probably 60% of the users on Facebook have used one of there App/games if not more, and several play 3 or more!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Points 3,205
LLeCompte replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:02 AM

Scumbag is suing a scumbag. I find it very funny.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS