Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, and Other Channels Will Disappear Tonight due to DirecTV/Viacom Dispute

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,862
Points 1,172,070
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:45 PM
Usually, when industry titans do battle, it’s a good thing for consumers (patent wars notwithstanding). Companies scramble to outdo each other, one-upping the competition’s latest product and forcing down prices, and begging for our loyalty and money. In the TV world, unfortunately, the sniping and quarreling only serve to tick everyone off and suck in innocent bystanders, like an ugly divorce where each partner tries to enlist the support of the kids by bad-mouthing the other.

The latest scrum is between DirecTV and Viacom over an expiring distribution agreement; apparently, the two sides can’t agree on a fair renewal price. Viacom took a swing late last night with a press release announcing that a whopping 26 channels carried by DirecTV were in jeopardy of going dark at midnight tonight if DirecTV didn’t agree to terms. (Viacom pointed out that the expiring deal is seven years old.) DirecTV struck back on Facebook with a post decrying Viacom’s tactics, saying that agreeing to Viacom’s terms would result in a 30% increase in costs to customers.

DirecTV and Viacom dispute
Daniel Tosh, sucked into the propaganda machine

Both sides appear to have a valid argument against the other, but the larger point is that dumping on your customers isn’t a very smart way to do business. Considering that many users are already considering switching from traditional satellite and cable pay-TV offerings to online-only options (especially in the summer, when most of our favorite shows are on hiatus), it might behoove both DirecTV and Viacom to sort out their differences behind closed doors. It’s in both of their best interests to do so.

Channels in jeopardy of going dark tonight include MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, Spike, TV Land, CMT, and Logo. If you want to parse out the situation for yourself, the companies’ respective websites on the issue are whendirectvdrops.com and www.directvpromise.com.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:37 PM

Doesn't affect me this time. Corporate greed is at an all time high. This kind of crap just proves it too.

I'd like to be able to shop for individual channels across networks at a predetermined price. Why should I have to buy what I'm never going to watch?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

I will only miss a few... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

I've got DirecTV but watch other channels so this won't affect me. I don't expect that anyone here will miss RuPaul's Drag Race, either.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 9:23 PM

Not going to be missing much, but my cousins watch Nickelodeon alot... He turned on the tv and there was the notice... lol

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

All I want to comment is I hate that yellow creepy thing on the picture.. so stupid!

http://www.carid.com/ is where I buy car parts.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 9:56 AM

Don't have DirectTV but Time Warner lost some channels recently in a similar situation. I lost my favorite channel ever, Travel Channel. It's still on digital cable but I'd have to pay extra.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
unferth33 replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 1:47 PM

NOOOOOO that means no new Futurama tonight....

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS