ITU Schedules Meeting To Address "Innovation-Stifling" Patent Lawsuits

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,159
Points 1,185,255
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:28 PM
ITU Logo - Innovation Stifling Patent Suits"Rampant patent litigation." If you've followed consumer technology for any small amount of time, you'd know that it's happening. Apple vs. Samsung. Yahoo vs. Facebook. HTC, Motorola, Google -- you name it. If it's a large tech company, it's probably worried somewhat about being sued over patents. Companies that are involved don't seem to be making any grandiose public claims about this misfortune. But the tech media, and consumers at large, are growing tired of the back-and-forth. And you know it's bad when even a entity as large and hulking (and busy) as the International Telecommunication Union puts out a press release addressing the matter.

The ITU has been involved in a lot of the patent fighting going on, with certain companies requesting that the ITU block sales of certain products due to alleged patent infringement. As the ITU says: "In light of recent patent disputes that have caused shipments of goods to be impounded at docks and the worldwide increase in standard essential patent (SEP) litigation, ITU will host a high-level roundtable discussion between standards organizations, key industry players and government officials at ITU headquarters in Geneva, on 10 October 2012." You read that correctly; the ITU is so concerned about the out-of-control state of tech patent litigation that it will be holding an event to discuss how we can get it back under control.

The ITU even goes one step further, saying that this mess is "innovation-stifling," and that this event is where it will "be tackled." The release continues:
"Discussions on the relevance of current arrangements based around reasonable and non-discriminatory (RAND) patent policies will be a key focus. RAND-based policies have thus far been an effective way of managing natural tensions between patent holders, standards implementers and end-users. However, the definition of what constitutes ‘reasonable’, and whether or not holders of SEPs are entitled to injunctive relief are now emerging as major points of contention. The information and communication technology (ICT) industry in particular is affected, with key protocols implemented in devices sometimes encompassing hundreds of patents. If just one patent holder decides to demand unreasonable compensation for use of its intellectual property (IP), the cost of the device in which that IP is implemented can skyrocket."

Finally. Finally, some entity is stepping up and saying what many have been saying, but this is way more likely to make an impact. We can't wait to see what companies show up and what kind of debate goes down. Hopefully, we'll see this frantic lawsuits subside and innovation take back off.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator

I wish them luck making progress. Many non-innovators are depending on all of that money that they're ~not really~ earning to just give it up easily.

It will be like trying to lasso a stick of butter with a red hot wire.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator

The patent litigation has become so bad that even the judges are getting pissed (see HERE)!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925

For my part, I certainly hope that those «people who get even less done than those hard working civil servants we have in Washington» do manage to get something done about the disgusting circus of absurd patents and still more absurd patent litigation we are now witnessing - Judge Posner's exasperation is fully understandable (thanks for the link, Super Dave !) - coming out of (mainly, but not exclusively) the United States. The fact that the ITU has dared to refer to these patent disputes as «innovation-stifling» is encouraging ; it shows that the people involved are beginning to realise how destructive «competition by lawyer» has become....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 9:24 AM

Upvotes for everyone in this topic, since we seem unanimous in our opinion. Not even an opinion really, but a statement of fact.

As a developer, I'm actually discouraged to even try to release anything that makes enough money to put me on the radar of the patent trolls, as it would just end up costing me money in the long run. As is, It's safer for us to develop stuff inside a corporation and never have it see the light of day.  I have yet to see one of these patent lawsuits where I didn't think the 'invention' (idea, really, as many of these patents aren't associated with a specific product) was completely obvious to anyone practicing in the field of design or implementation.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 75

Injunctive relief for trolls with no products is a joke. So are injunctions for bogus copyrights or obvious patents. Just because some political entity say an underfunded and understaffed patent office is seeking revenge for budget cuts by approving scat, is no reason for international bodies to accept scat.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:41 AM

3vi1:
As a developer, I'm actually discouraged to even try to release anything that makes enough money to put me on the radar of the patent trolls, as it would just end up costing me money in the long run.

That sucks. And that is why it's gonna have to change before innovation is dead.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:19 AM

...  I have yet to see one of these patent lawsuits where I didn't think the 'invention' (idea, really, as many of these patents aren't associated with a specific product) was completely obvious to anyone practicing in the field of design or implementation.
But you have to admit that «slide-to-unlock» was a great step forward in human civilisation - pity that the process has been employed for thousands of years, as anyone who has either bolted or unbolted a door should know....  Wink
Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:31 PM

mhenriday:
as anyone who has either bolted or unbolted a door should know

Aw Henri,.........Ha-Ha!

I lost Pepsi through my nose when I read that,.......

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:30 AM

I owe you one - put it on the tab !...       Smile

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS