Police Tape App for Android Records Cop Conversations on the Sly

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,353
Points 1,191,495
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 6 2012 12:10 PM
The American Civil Liberties Union (ALCU) of New Jersey released an Android app called 'Police Tape' for smartphones that it hopes will help citizens "hold police accountable" by securely and discreetly recording conversations and interactions with Johnny Law.

If you happen to walk by an arrest in progress or witness what you believe might qualify as police brutality, whipping out your cell phone to record the action might result in your device being seized, or worse. This is where Police Tape comes in.

Police Tape records video and audio on the sly, with nothing on the screen to tip an officer what you're up to. The recording then goes to the ACLU-NJ for review of any civil liberties violations. Once uploaded, it's saved to an external server, so even if your cell phone is seized, police can't get rid of the evidence.

"This app provides an essential tool for police accountability," said ACLU-NJ Executive Director Deborah Jacobs. "Too often incidents of serious misconduct go unreported because citizens don’t feel that they will be believed. Here, the technology empowers citizens to place a check on police power directly."

In addition to recording audio and video, the app also informs you of your rights when you're in a car, at home, being stopped by a police offer, and when under arrest.

Police Tape is available as a free download from Google Play.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 12:53 PM

I don't think the police will let you check your phone while under arrest...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945

As several recent cases have made abundantly clear, we need something like this here in Sweden as well - hope someone in the neighbourhood feels inspired ! Kudos to the ACLU and Open Watch !...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 10:58 AM

I think that it's needed sometimes,......but man-oh-man what a good way to piss off a cop!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:13 PM

Isn't that precisely the problem - that the cops get «pissed off» when the manner in which they carry out their duties is documented ? Given that these duties very often involve restricting the freedoms of others, shouldn't how they are performed be subject to public scrutiny ? Our cities are filled with thousands upon thousands of CCTV cameras which record our every action in public places (and frequently, private ones as well) ; when citizens and residents point out the risk that the use of these devices might entail to our essential liberties, the usual response is that if one has nothing to hide, one has nothing to fear. My question, then, is the following : if the police are indeed carrying out their public functions in accordance with the laws and regualtions that apply thereto, why do they seem to object so strenuously to being filmed and otherwise recorded in the performance of these duties ? I know one name for a state in which questioning how these functions are performed is not allowed - a police state...  Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:36 PM

As I said,.....I think that it's needed ~sometimes~

I think that the ~all over~ CCTV camera coverage you live with is a violation of your privacy.  Sounds like a police state already,.....

It should have never been allowed to happen.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 7:35 AM

The fact that you need this shows the sad path society is on.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:07 PM

jaoyuehie:

Given that these duties very often involve restricting the freedoms of others, shouldn't how they are performed be subject to public scrutiny ?

Yes

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:13 PM

realneil:

jaoyuehie:

Given that these duties very often involve restricting the freedoms of others, shouldn't how they are performed be subject to public scrutiny ?

Yes

You're responding to a spambot that autoquoted mhenri to sound authentic.  :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:19 PM

Realneil, if you check it out, you will find that the posting by signature «jaoyuehle» above is nothing other than a copy (without acknowldgement, of course) of the second period of my posting here of 7 July. Someone - I suspect the same poster using multiple pseudonyms - seems to find this sort of thing amusing, as it has occurred on several of the threads to which I've posted. But on the other hand, perhaps it should rather be regarded as a compliment, an expression of admiration for my way with words....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 6:11 PM

Sorry guys, I usually notice this crap and delete these posts myself. (been reporting them to admins too) They usually hide links in their posts too.

Got a lot going on here and not feeling so good either.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:12 AM

No need to apologise, realneil ; the «parrot messages» themselves are merely amusing, but it's interesting - and a bit worrying - to hear about those hidden links ! In any event, best wishes for a speedy recovery !...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:40 AM

mhenriday:
but it's interesting - and a bit worrying - to hear about those hidden links

We're on it. Wink No need to worry on this site at all. Smile

To see them, you have to be a mod, and go into our moderator's edit capabilities for the post in question. Once there, we can see how they structured their original post and how they've hidden their links. I will not say how they do it here,.....but we know about it already and have begun to ban them for it.

Take care Henri.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS