Teardown Reveals New MacBook Pro Models a Bear to Repair

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,815
Points 1,165,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:54 AM
Good luck if you ever need to service a new MacBook Pro model that isn't under warranty. The fine people over at iFixIt did what they do best with one of Apple's newly refreshed laptops, promptly gutting the device with a detailed walkthrough. What did they discover along the way? That's it's not so easy to repair. In fact, iFixIt gave the new MacBook Pro a measly 1 out of 10 'Repairability Score', the worst possibly score a gadget can get.
There are multiple reasons why the MacBook Pro is a crummy machine for do-it-yourself (DIY) repair types. It starts with those annoying pentalobe screws, which are specifically intended to keep you from cracking it open with your presumably bumbling fingers. But that's not all that makes it difficult to work on. The lithium-polymer battery is glued, not screwed, into the case, which means you're likely to break something during disassembly, iFixIt surmises. RAM is soldered to the motherboard, the SSD isn't upgradeable (not yet, anyway) as it's a separate daughtercard, and the display assembly is completely fused with no glass protection. Should something fall inside while performing a repair, you're looking at a costly replacement, as you'll need to swap out the entire assembly.

Image Source: iFixIt

The model iFixIt tore into was a 15.4-inch MacBook Pro with LED-backlit Retina display, Core i7 processor (Ivy Bridge), 8GB of DDR3L RAM, and Nvidia GeForce GT 650M graphics. Apple announced the upgraded model at WWDC on Tuesday.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Points 1,645
lipe123 replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 4:34 PM

And this is why anyone with half a brain buy's regular "pc" products where you can at least upgrade/replace the ram and hard drive.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

I agree with lipe123. Heck, Apple even glued the battery in! I would never purchase any brand of notebook built like that.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,220

Wow, just wow.

Who would imagine that beneath of that cover you would find everything in one mobo.

If one Ram module get damage, you have to replace the entire lap or the entire mobo? That sucks dude.

What heck Apple is thinking?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:17 PM

Have to agree on this one. Why on earth Apple would go with non-standard PCB and module designs is beyond me. There's just no upside, short of making more of a profit off the consumer in the service area. At some point the whole experience will suffer if design decisions are made in a vacuum like this.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,220

I think in a few months, who knows when is going to happen and where, people will star to get mad with Apple for making disposable laps and don't be suprise to see a lawsuit soon.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 9:46 AM

Why am I not surprised ?...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
rafardz replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 2:47 PM

and this is why i have never (and never will) buy an apple product =)

Well, besides a dozen more reasons...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS