Dell XPS One 27 All-in-One Desktop Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 1 2012 12:02 PM

Dell XPS One 27 All-in-One Desktop ReviewThere's a transformation taking place in the PC market, and despite what the doomsayers might tell you, it has nothing to do with tablets, smartphones, tweener devices like the Galaxy Note, or increasingly media-centric game consoles. No, the transformation we're observing is one where people are trading in their towers and monitors for space-saving all-in-one (AIO) desktops. The AIO form factor isn't new by any means, but for a number of reasons, it's finally starting to gain momentum. And as they become more popular, companies like Dell have begun paying more attention to ways they can improve upon the design. To wit, Dell's new XPS One 27, reviewed here, introduces a spacious and vibrant 27-inch display with a Wide Quad HD (WQHD) 2560x1440 resolution and Samsung Plane to Line Switching (PLS) panel...

Dell XPS One 27 All-in-One Desktop Review

• | Post Points: 170
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,590
Points 54,905
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:26 PM

Really nice machine by Dell here. iMac killer?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925

Thanks for the review, Paul ! Frankly, I have difficulty understanding the «space-saving» hype that always accompanies this form factor - after all, the all-in-one does have to be placed on a desk or a table (somehow, I suspect that few will choose to place this 16 kg bemoth on their lap and many will probably find it difficult to move around on a desk), which means that there's always room for a system unit (box) under the desk/table, unless that space is already occupied by the family dog. That being said, this does, indeed, look like a unit of whose preformance one needn't be ashamed ; I'm particularly impressed by the inclusion of that Samsung PLS panel, which by all reports should be a joy to use and which I'm seriously considering purchasing for my latest standard build, even if it means also shelling out for a new video card with the capacity to drive the monitor (which, for comparison with regard to mobility, weights only 6.6 kg). One question remains in my mind, however - how hot will the unit run in that relatively cramped space behind the panel and therewith, how long will it last ? As you pointed out, «Drinksropping two large on a system in today's economy is not a decision to be made lightly» ; one would like to know that, e g, the motherboard isn't going to give up the ghost due to overheating and poor ventilation....

Henri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:51 PM

Got to see a PLS panel in person and it is absolutely gorgeous, although I don't know if I would sacrifice the touch screen for that panel. In my opinion windows 8 is the perfect companion for AIO's but only if they have a touch screen.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Just goes to show how ridiculously overpriced standalone 27 inch monitors that boast more than 1080p are.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Intel says the i7-3770S is a quad-core processor - maybe you know better?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

I'm sure that was a type-o (halfway down the thrid page) when you described it as "one of Intel's new 22nm Ivy Bridge processors, a dual-core CPU clocked at 3.10GHz..." This is really a fine and thorough review by the way, though I did read elsewhere that the noise-level from the fans (and the thermal design as a whole) is a more serious issue on the XPS One 27 than you make it out be here

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,590
Points 54,905
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 4:03 PM

Good catch and corrected, alexorangutan! Thanks. We had it listed correctly in other areas of the article.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
lancorp replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 11:36 AM

I just received one of these and wanted to clarify a couple of things that the reviewer got wrong.

First, the keyboard and mouse are not Bluetooth. They use a traditional USB nano-receiver just like Logitech, etc., except the receiver is hidden inside the 2710 (under a trap door on the bottom). I like the keyboard (not the mouse, so much) but mine didn't work because apparently my receiver and KB/mouse were mismatched at the factory.

Second, the back is not aluminum. It's plastic. Also, for those who want to "upgrade" their 2710, it is VERY easy to take the back off (two screws and it slides right off). Once the back cover is off, the hard drive, memory and other critical components are just a few screws from being completely accessible.

Also, for those interested, the 2710 does seem to support RAID (in the BIOS, but there are only two SATA ports, so you have to lose your DVD drive if you want to add, say, two SSD's to the system. Also, SATA 1 seems to be a 3GBps port, and SATA0 is 6GBps. Bummer.

Lastly, there is an issue (at least with mine) with the fans. Once the cooling fans ramp up during heavy usage, they stay there. They don't slow back down once things cool off. Rebooting the system resets the fans. I'm sure that's a BIOS issue of some sort. Overall, the system CPU and GPU run hotter than I think they should. The CPU is around 50C when idle and the GPU (nVidia) is in the 60C's when idle. (using HWINFO64 for readings). When I had the back off, the heatpipes and CPU heatsink were burning hot!

Overall, though, it's a nice system with the latest tech and a beautiful screen (good like an iMac!).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 12:16 PM

Thanks for your posting, Iancorp ; it's always of great interest to hear from users who have practical experience of the system being discussed ! You seem to confirm my suspicions with respect to ventilation problems, which I suspect are going to limit the longevity of the system. I hope, however, that you don't encounter these difficulties....

Henri 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
lancorp replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 10:31 PM

Me too!  Because of the KB/Mouse problem and now the fans, I may ask for a replacement and once I receive that, I'll re-paste the CPU and GPU.

The GPU just has a heatsink/fan on it, just like a traditional video card, no heatpipe.  The CPU has the heatpipe and an exhaust fan blowing on the radiator out the top/center.  Still that heatpipe and heatsink are blazing hot!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 8:10 AM

Well, Iancorp, you can count yourself lucky that it's a Dell and, according to the review, easy to work on for an All-in-One, rather than, say, a new Mac Book Pro, which as Paul Lilly pointed out in this review (http://hothardware.com/News/Teardown-Reveals-New-MacBook-Pro-Models-a-Bear-to-Repair/), seems to be specifically designed to keep users from performing any maintenance at all, including replacing the battery....

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
NJM replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 8:12 AM

This is a lovely machine with a top notch spec. Saw it yesterday on the Dell site with £200 off!!

Not too sure about the issue of overheating that has been mentioned on here. All computers run hot, that is why they have fans!!

Yes, the all in ones are more compact etc, but the iMac 27" all in one has been out on the market for ages now and there are no problems with that to my knowledge. Also, as these machines (iMacs) are used mostly in the design industry in an office environment, they are much more likely to be on ALL day as opposed to a couple of hours for personal use.

I raised this issue with Dell UK who say they are unaware of any problems and certainly have not had any complaints about overheating from this or any other all in one model

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:13 AM

Here a comment from a person who makes a living repairing computers....

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ivamg replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 9:08 AM

I wish to upgrade processor and graphic card by myself.

I wish to upgrade CPU to i7-3770s (I have i5-3450s now), and Graphic card to GTX 675MX (MXM 3b) - I have GT 640M now.

Does existing motherboard allow to make this upgrades? Does it have sockets for CPU and Graphic card to upgrade them?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
lancorp replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 9:35 AM

While you can upgrade the CPU by changing the chip in the existing socket, if you have an i5 without GPU now, then you've actually got a blank spot on the motherboard.  No socket.  No way to add a GPU.  

BUT, the i5-3450s has the lowly Intel 2500 integrated graphics, but the i7-3770s has the MUCH MUCH better Intel 4000 Graphics.

So, while you are limited, the i7 choice will give you more speed in both processing AND graphics.

Otherwise, you need to sell your current unit and check out the Dell Outlet for some great deals on i7 units.  This week I picked up a fully equipped i7 unit for $1000.  Dell has a coupon sale right now that applies.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
geeks2you replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 1:49 PM

Fixing all-in-one computers can be a bit more difficult than standard desktop towers. However it isn't impossible. Geeks 2 You has been doing it reliably for a long time now.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 5:06 AM

Geeks 2 You, have your noticed any differences with regard to type, frequency, and severity in the problems you are called upon to repair on all-in-one computers, on the one hand, and those you see on conventional desktops, on the other ?...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I use currently I mac 27" in windows mode (yes i know cutting resources in half), designer by trade, heavy vector, heavy rastor, getting in to video ... how does this machine match-up to imac for processing and speed ?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS