OCZ Equips New Agility 4 Series Solid State Drives with Everest 2 Controller

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,504
Points 1,196,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 30 2012 10:39 AM
OCZ Technology is continuing to blitz the solid state drive market with new models, the latest being the Agility 4 Series, which the company claims strikes an "ideal balance" of SATA 6Gbps speed, IOPS performance, and enterprise-grade endurance and reliability," all while maintaining cost-friendly price points.

The Agility 4 Series is powered by OCZ's Everest 2 controller and is available in 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB capacities. These aren't the fastest SSDs on the market, hence why OCZ says they offer a "cost-effective alternative to other SATA III SSD solutions," including some of its own. Performance varies by model, culminating in up to 400MB/s read and write speeds on the 265GB and 512GB drives, along with random 4K read performance pegged at 48,000 IOPS and random 4K write rated at 85,000 IOPS.

"For mainstream storage applications, there is no product better suited in the industry than our Agility 4 SSDs, providing the ultimate in access speed, application performance, endurance and reliability, at price points that most cost-conscious users will find appealing," said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology. "As mobile users and applications continue to grow, adding to the deluge of data being generated on a daily basis, our Agility 4 SSD series provide great IOPS performance at a reasonable price enabling the user experience to be heightened especially for video streaming, music, photos, gaming, and online transaction processing (OLTP)."

OCZ stopped short of announcing MSRPs for any of the drives, though we uncovered some street prices on Amazon, which is selling the 128GB for $150, 256GB for $250, and 512GB for $561. Those are good, not spectacular, though it will be interesting to see how prices shake out once the drives fall into the laps of more vendors.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, May 30 2012 8:31 PM

Prices are not that good at all.

When they drop, we will come,......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Thu, May 31 2012 8:33 AM

Yeah the problem here will be the prices especially seeing I could get a Agility 3 for almost 30% less. So these have to be intro prices I would think as not only are those price points (such as a 120-128Gb SSD) for between 95-125 and generally right around 110 shipped going to hurt them, but all there competitors prices are right about the same as well!. Either way we have to thank OCZ because I am pretty sure without them we would easily still be paying double that.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, May 31 2012 11:12 AM

rapid1:
Either way we have to thank OCZ because I am pretty sure without them we would easily still be paying double

Yes. OCZ has been in the forefront of lower SSD prices for a long time and the other players have had to react to them in the marketplace. These 4th Generation SSD drives are awesome and the fact that they're so inexpensive is great. This Agility 4 is a little too expensive though.

SSD performance is getting faster and more reliable all of the time. The technology involved is improving every day and that's good. But, if you think about it, even an older style 2nd generation SSD still has stellar performance when compared to the very best platter drives. Using just about ANY 2nd Gen or newer SSD means that you'll be seeing a big improvement in the way your system works. And they are still available for much less then the newest ones too.

I know a guy who just has to have the latest, greatest PC equipment for himself. He took a perfectly good SSD out of his system because it was a SATA-II drive and not SATA-III. He had it sitting on a shelf in his office and was planning to "get rid of it". I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $30.00 will do. So, I just got a 128GB Verbatim SATA-II SSD for $30 and put it into my older HP Laptop. It made a huge difference in the way that thing works.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Rainfox replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 4:59 AM

Remind me again why I would buy this drive over their own Vertex 4 128 gig drive at $129 from a river in africa

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 12:39 PM

Rainfox:
from a river in Africa

That one would be wet.

I agree about spending so much for a drive. There are a whole lot of SSD's on the market for great prices these days, and they keep getting cheaper by the day.

The worst of them is still damn fast too.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Rainfox replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 4:06 AM

That is the best part , Its their own Vertex 4 ($129) beating them on their own price and speeds all around, correct me if I am wrong but i see no benefit to this drive over the Vertex 4, unless they are planning on raising the price of that one, I hope not......*quickly checks bank account*

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS