Diablo III Reviewed: Blizzard's Brilliant, Blundering Wreck

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,340
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 25 2012 11:08 AM
Diablo III isn't just a game -- it's a sequel, a social service, and a financial experiment all wrapped up in one. We've discussed the game's structure and balance in our extensive preview as well as its security problems earlier this week.

Diablo III will likely go down as one of the most polarizing games of 2012. What follows is a detailed examination of the game's best attributes and a frank discussion of its failures.

Sometimes Michael Bay gives us Transformers, sometimes Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  Yeah, it's kinda like that...

• | Post Points: 170
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Fri, May 25 2012 12:09 PM

Pretty much nailed my opinion of this game. It's a fantastic game when I CAN play it, especially last night when I tried co-op for the first time with 2 real-life friends and it was a blast. I need to take more breaks cuz my hands are starting to get tired from playing so much. But the online DRM bugs me to no end. Sometimes it's at Blizz's end, and sometimes my own internet connection drops out. Either way, there should be no reason that I can't play a singleplayer game I paid for, but here we are. I shouldn't have to use an authenticator and worry about hackers in a singleplayer game. Even Mass Effect 3's Origin requirement which caused so many people to lose their minds in anger has an offline mode.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,081
Points 11,700
Joel H replied on Fri, May 25 2012 12:24 PM

The online DRM isn't the problem -- not in the sense that there's some program running that's stealing CPU cycles. The whole "I shouldn't have to be online to be in a singleplayer game" is a separate issue from the question of whether or not there's a DRM function running.

You *can't* play D3 offline. As in literally can't. Monsters and items are created server-side. That was a deliberate design decision to cut down hacking which has had the unintended consequence of cutting us all off from the game.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
TBallard replied on Fri, May 25 2012 5:00 PM

Yea, I agree with most of what's in the article. Just got into hell (3rd difficulty) on my monk. One of the big let downs for me is how short it seems. I played a lot of hours but not a crazy ammount, I cleared every dungeon, every inch, I like to be thorough. That being said, I solo'd normal and nightmare within a week of the launch date. I just don't see the longevity of diablo 2 unless they release expansions of some nature which I think they will. The story was short, flew by, only 4 acts. The game just feels small to me, a lot of the areas are the same areas from diablo 2 and not a lot of "new" areas and less areas then diablo 2. For a 3rd game in a series, highly anticipated followup to the 2nd I consider it a let down. I'm still gonna play and it is a good game for sure in a lot of ways but it stil feels small / short / too easy and too fast to get through.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 30
snakefist replied on Sat, May 26 2012 7:00 AM

"Storyline makes Michael Bay look like Stanley Kubrick"

hey, being too harsh? it happens in ~50% of blizzard titles, so everyone should be used to it by now:

wc3 - EXCELLENT

wc3 expansion - nonsense - "hey illidan, you DID tried to potentially destroy the world and i've kept you in dungeon for 10000 years, but now that you save my broad, you are free to leave to do whatever you want" - and this is 100% correct interpretation, not a mock up

sc1 - great story. sc1exp - deus ex machina

sc2 - unfinished, but likely to collapse...

diablo1 - EXCELLENT (promises sequel, ends in gloom)

diablo2 - EXCELLENT (promises expansion, ends in gloom)

diablo2 - hmmmm... deus ex for PREMISE? apparently, there is some kind of world-stone, never mentioned before, but crucial for some reason? and it's destruction is somehow bad? why prime evils didn't tried to destroy it in original game?

diablo3 - poor, waging war against 6th and 7th greatest evil in the world?! now, that's pitiful... ends in happiness - what the hell will be in 2nd and 3rd expansion? 8th and 9th lesser evil? diablo return and revenge 2?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
TZielhuis replied on Sat, May 26 2012 8:04 AM

I actually had very little connection issues... i started playing one day after launch, i dc'd once... lagged a few times but nothing like what you people describe.

im playing in europe, maybe the issues are worse in the US region? or maybe i just got lucky

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, May 26 2012 11:22 AM

I think if they were to make an expansion the story line would deal with Adria because at the end of act 3, when the prime evil was made, the prime evil tells Adria " Well done, faithful adria. Go now until i call upon you again". She is then not seen for the rest of the game and where she is now is unknown.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,081
Points 11,700
Joel H replied on Sun, May 27 2012 5:47 PM

Obviously some of you didn't talk to Covetous Shen very much. The Expansion (or upcoming DLC, I suppose) will be about the Dirgest gem and / or what happens to Leah's soul. He even says at one point: "After this stuff is over, you and I will head for fresh adventures far from here."

Snakefist,

I've played and beta tested nearly every single Blizzard product going back to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. Some of their games have, to be sure, been better than others. None of them have had such a huge gap between the story they tried to tell and the execution *of* that story.

The story as told by cinematic is great. As told by in-game cutscenes, it's terrible. The Black Soulstone unveil? Terrible. The Worf Effect in Act I? Terrible. Diablo's not-so-surprising appearance? Terrible. It's not even that the developers told the story poorly, it's like they threw up their hands and said: "Just get it over with."

I played all the games you listed. I don't think any of them had nearly the same problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JMay replied on Sun, May 27 2012 7:09 PM

I'm now at the end of the game fighting final boss. I have made it this far only due to pure stubbornness and a desire to get my $60 worth. It has not been a great or even particularly good experience, so this is going to be pretty damn negative comment. I'm sorry. My recommendation, skip this game and save your $60 unless you just love clicking your mouse.

Gameplay: Repetitive/tedious.

Graphics: OK but not great. A couple nice environments.

Cinematics: Good but stop about half-way through game.

Storyline: Exceptionally predictable with no plot-twists. Certainly not engaging.

Dialog: Hilariously over-heroic. Characters are dull as dish-water.

NPCs: Helpers are basically useless except the Templar (who can heal)

Design: It is offensive that I am FORCED to log on to play a game I will NEVER play multi-player.

Sound/Music: Too buys clicking to notice. No complaints.

Rating: 4 of 10 Save your money.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,081
Points 11,700
Joel H replied on Mon, May 28 2012 3:13 PM

Jmay,

Whatever else your complaints, the cinematics don't stop halfway through the game. You may have been unintentionally skipping them. Check the "Cinematics" button when you first launch the game (it does not require a login).

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, May 28 2012 4:46 PM

I personally loved this game and wish i had more time to play it. But with school coming to a close i got a lot of deadlines to make and finals to study for.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JCarriger replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:58 AM

I had a.. just OK opinion with this game while waiting for Blizzard to step up and fix severe issues with gameplay, chat, skills, gear, drops, elite affixes, and LAG/RMTs.. but the only things they are interested in fixing is anything to extend the hours played, or urge you into RMAH to give them their 15%.

Last time I will ever buy anything relating to Blizzard North.. South.. whatever they call themselves who cares, ...or Activision.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS