Android vs. Windows Phone: The Case For Conversion

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 24 2012 1:54 PM

To date, we haven't heard a lot about Android 5.0 in terms of features, but Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) has had a lot of time to mature. Particularly on the Galaxy Nexus, the pure version of ICS is one of the most fluid, visually appealing mobile OSes -- but is it still the best alternative for those who are shying away from the iPhone for one reason or another?

We ask the question because of Windows Phone's recent successes, however mild they may be. Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) feels like a completely overhauled version of the original WP7 build that shipped with phones like the HD7, Omnia 7 and Samsung Focus. Originally, it felt as if Windows Phone 7 was forced out just in time for the holiday season, but the latest version is a significantly better option.

Android vs. Windows Phone: The Case For Conversion

• | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Thu, May 24 2012 2:20 PM

Moving from the open Android ecosystem to Microsoft's buggy, clunky, proprietary and closed WP ecosystem strikes me as a form of masochism; I can't imagine any technically-literate person doing that voluntarily. I own a couple of Android devices, have owned others, and work with Android, Blackberry, and WP devices (and have extensively tested Windows 8, which is arguably WP on desktops). Nothing could convince me to give up Android on my own phone, especially after having suffered with Blackberry and WP.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 24 2012 10:16 PM

RT, Windows Phone 7.5 just works for the average Joe. Have you experienced WP7 on a handset for any length of time? Many times there are fewer strokes to do various tasks versus Android and the UI is slick and fast. It's not tweakable or as accessible under the hood as Android but it's no joke. It's a solid handset OS.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Dan_R replied on Fri, May 25 2012 4:33 AM

I have to agree with Dave on this. I've been using WP 7.5 since November 2011 when the HTC Titan came out for ATT. I have to say, the phone is solid. While most users don't understand how incredible this OS is, as a developer, it's beyond anything that Droid could put out. First, there's so many things that are built right into the search, like, music search, barcode, text scanning, text translating.. Instagram-type app.. Then the FB integration with your contacts.. Instant posting and sharing.. I had a Samsung Captivate. The only things I miss on that phone is swype and Citrix. With my WinPhone, I don't need to have an App Killer. All the apps on the windows phone (this is an OS Feature.. not an app thing) It prevents applications from running in the background. It puts them into hibernation mode. On my samsung, I'd have to go in every few hours to kill apps or my battery would die. Just these few reasons make the phone solid. The only faults I have is that it only works with Unified access gateway servers for VPN (F That btw), and there's no Flash integration. But I can live without it. I have a droid tablet i use for connecting into the office. I'm not a total MS Fanboy, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. The games rock, the video rocks, the Exchange integration is phenominal, and I love the email interface for all my personal email accts.. And the live panels on the front are great.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 25 2012 7:41 AM

Agreed Dan and RT, if you're thinking of WP7 or 7.5 as being a kin to W8 on the desktop, you're way off the mark. WP7.5 is a true handset OS and W8 really only excels for touch devices like tablets and maybe convertible notebooks and touch driven all-in-ones like HP's TouchSmart series for example.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
lumpaywk replied on Mon, May 28 2012 3:34 AM

"you're considering future access to Drive, Maps, etc., you're probably going to be out of luck" - This may be true but if you go with Nokia then you have Nokia Drive that uses Nokia Maps. This is actually much better than googlemaps as they are more complete ie google maps sometimes misses out entire rural areas just because it has not benefit to there advertising. Nokia Maps have been used by other mapping companies and are extremly good. Plus soon they will be made available as a paid app to other windows phones though why you would go away from Nokia i would not know.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CVoller replied on Tue, May 29 2012 6:29 PM

@RTietjens

Buggy and clunky? I can't count how many Android devices have frozen, rebooted, or just shut off in my hands or when someone was trying to do something as simple as showing me a photo they took. How long did it take, and how many cores were added just to get an Android phone to scroll, zoom in and out smoothly? Since owning my Focus S in late 2011, it has froze on me a total of 2 times while using trial apps, never rebooted itself, and never just shut off for no given reason, and always scrolls and works the way it should every day. Not to mention have an Android last 2 days on one charge like a WP7 can. Hell, a friend's LG Android drained his battery to nothing in less than 2 hours because some app decided to keep running in the background. It's fine if you don't like them, but don't make up crap because of it. They work great for people who want a smart phone that acts like the same smart phone every time they unlock it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Mr. Willington,

As a user of Google Apps (gmail, calendar, contacts, docs, etc) would you recommend the Windows Phone? I use google apps constantly. I have an android tablet and phone, but am interested in converting to Windows 7.5 (and Windows 8 on tablets/PC when available), but I am afraid I will lose the functionality with Google that my Android phone give me. It will not be an issue on Win 8 tablets running intel chips/Win 8 Pro, as you can just use chrome or the internet, but it will be on Win 8 arm tablets/Win 8 RT and these phones.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS