Shortcuts

Ram Disks??

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm Posted: Thu, May 3 2012 8:57 PM

Has anybody fooled around with creating a ram disk. There are some newegg videos on you tube where Asus is showing of the ability to create a ram disk and then run programs of that disk with huge advantages in read and write speeds. Has anybody tried installing programs to a ram disk and if you did how big was the space you allocated for the disk compared to your overall ram. I personally did create a ram disk using Dataram software and allocated just my windows paging file to that disk (another youtube video). I haven't noticed a difference in the games I've been playing or the applications I run (like word and excel with light work).

System specs are as follows

Asus P8Z68v-Pro mobo

8 gb of memory with 2gb for the ram disk

Gigabyte HD 6870

1 terabyte Seagate Barracuda

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I thought since I had a pretty slow hard drive I might see some results but there haven't been any apparent ones. I can't install games to a 2gb so I thought just changing the location of the paging file might help. I know some games don't use paging files anymore perhaps thats the reason I haven't seen any difference. My next step is to install some of my video encoding software like badaboom and media show espresso onto the ramdisk and see if they benefit from the ridiculous read and write speeds. I have a feeling they might not since I don't think ill be putting the source and output video files on the ramdisk itself, just the program (just because 2 gb is not big enough for some of the movies and high res shows, I probably will try saving both the files on the ramdisk itself if I don't get any results from the initial trial)

I would love to read some comments and criticisms because I'm trying to see if having a ramdisk is worth it at all.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,779
Points 105,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, May 3 2012 10:06 PM

I have a free program that creates a RAM disk for you.

Here are a few performance benchmarks using a 8GB sized Ram-disk. For me, a Ram-disk is outrageously quick.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, May 3 2012 10:29 PM

Thanks a lot for the benchmark results realneil, I wanted to know whether u actually use a ram disk and for what purpose. 8 gb is a reasonable amount of space so do you have any programs installed on that drive that benefit from those speeds. I already have ramdisk made from a free software called dataram and was looking for ways to utilize the full potential of the speed, otherwise I might just release the 2gb back to my ram.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,779
Points 105,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:04 AM

karanm:
do you have any programs installed on that drive that benefit from those speeds

Firefox browser cache mostly. ~Anything~ that's loaded into it runs like the wind.

My friend uses one as a scratch drive for PhotoShop. Says it makes thing move much faster.

It's not that I ~need~ it at all. (I don't) This system has 16GB of DDR3-2133 Mushkin Redline RAM (4-4GB sticks) in it. I set the RAmDisk up using 8GB of it, just to check it out. My SSD drives made a huge impact on system performance.

I have 32GB (4-8GB sticks) coming from Newegg for the Sandy Bridge PC next Monday, then I'll try out a 24GB RamDisk to see if it works any better.

So,.....I guess that you could say that I'm dabbling around with it, but it's not anything more than a novelty at this point.

BTW: Here is the best software to use for doing this. It has no size limitations and it's free.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, May 5 2012 1:07 AM

Thanks for the free software, got it installed but I don't know if i'll ever actually use it. Like I said in the earlier post I was gonna install badaboom to the ramdisk and see if it made a difference and unfortunately it did not. I still got an average of 300fps encoding with my z68 mobo and i5 2500k using intel's quick sync (was converting an episode of 3rd rock from the sun from avi to mp4, btw John Lithgow is funny but in fast motion he is downright  hilarious), the firefox caching you mentioned is something that i forgot about but implemented and am definitely enjoying the faster loads and easier switching between multiple tabs. I'm just waiting for a good deal on the crucial m4 to throw an ssd into this system and have it running the way it should be.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS