Google Drive Support Looks Promising For Chrome OS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,805
Points 1,213,195
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 29 2012 12:29 AM
Google Drive has already hit the Mac, PC and Android worlds, with iOS, Linux and even Google's own Chrome OS still on the waiting list. Google made clear that iPhone and iPad owners would get served in a couple of weeks, and recently said that Linux users wouldn't be left out, either. But surely, surely Chrome OS is on the list to get a pinch of the company's cloud storage service, right? Right.

This week, Google pushed out the first developer build of Chrome OS 20, and yes, there's support for Google Drive in there. According to those who have touched the new version, Drive is deeply intertwined within the OS now, and although basic for now, the promise is huge. Chrome OS was always built to be used as a cloud OS, but the mixing of Google Drive will allow it to be far more functional. Will it allow Chrome OS to finally get any sort of traction in the market? Hard to say -- at least with Chromebook prices where they are -- but adding Drive support is surely a move in the right direction.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 2:05 AM

Drive is almost a fad. almost. the capabilities are nice but the real functionality had kinda always been there. Dropbox has been around for years and google docs, msn and any other hotmail carrier will store data. you just have to know what form to put it in.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:30 AM

I agree AKNUDSON, but not everyone out there new Know what form to put it in.

You would think google would make sure its Google Drive came out in the Chrome OS before anything else...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,852
Points 45,915
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 4:25 PM

Yeah I applied on day one to be authorized and received it on day two. To tell ya the truth I like Skydrive for a different usage method (Remote support) right now. Not that either one is not useful for what they give you. In combo I think you get 10 GB of cloud space accessible from anywhere.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
madanbabu replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:24 PM

No matter how great they make this service, they fact they own, can reuse, reproduce and index whatever you put on there is a big turnoff. #FAIL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, May 1 2012 6:52 PM

>> with iOS, Linux and even Google's own Chrome OS still on the waiting list.

ChromeOS *is* Linux. Just not GNU/Linux. Same as with Android.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, May 1 2012 6:56 PM

>> , can reuse, reproduce and index whatever you put on there is a big turnoff.

If they can't reuse/reproduce something, how do you expect them to download you a copy on your other machine?

If they can't index something, how can they find it for you?

The privacy alerts about google drive are overblown. When you read the fine print, they're equal to if not better than what you get from Dropbox and skydrive See http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/232901076 for more info.

That said, I don't use Google drive.  I haven't filled my dropbox, Ubuntu One, and Minus accounts yet.  :p

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS